2070 Weld Bilt Flatbottom CC

What are we looking for if we want to see you on the water?
Shawn McNew

2070 Weld Bilt Flatbottom CC

Post by Shawn McNew » June 17th, 2011, 8:27 pm

Well, I just ordered it yesterday, so not exactly any pics yet. This is more of a preemptive strike than anything. Stay tuned. Does anybody know of a good used 90-115 hp? And a tandem axle aluminum trailer that will fit a 20 footer?

Barry Bertoldi

Re: 2070 Weld Bilt Flatbottom CC

Post by Barry Bertoldi » June 18th, 2011, 1:09 pm

Saw a 2005 115 Mercury on Craigslist today, I think it was listed in several places but might have been in Huntsville. $3800

Shawn McNew

Piecing it together: Motor

Post by Shawn McNew » July 27th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Ended up with a circa 2000-2002 era Yahama 90hp 2 stroke. 120 psi on all 3 cyls, fires up and idles good, trim works good. I'll probably have the carbs cleaned professionally. Previous owner said it probably had less than 200 hours on it. I might believe that. :P

Total cost for Motor: $1,650

Shawn McNew

Trailer, we're getting REAL close

Post by Shawn McNew » July 27th, 2011, 7:57 pm

After long searches for the right thing in a good used condition came up empty, I ended up biting the bullet and going new. Still didn't get exactly what I wanted. The FLAT crossbeams are in the mail! 600+ mile round trip to Lake City, FL to pick this up:

I know what you're thinking right now.."YOU GOT A SINGLE AXLE???" It's a torsion axle rated for 5,000 lbs and also has vented disc surge brakes.

Cost: $2,560

The boat is ready and getting jack plate installed tomorrow. If I can get the wood (getting custom 3"x5-3/4" bunks) on the trailer tomorrow, I am going to pick it up!!! :shock:

Mike Werner

Post by Mike Werner » July 27th, 2011, 9:05 pm

That is a real nice trailer. I'd really like to replace mine with an aluminum rig similar to that. Seeing what you paid for it, I may try to muddle along with the old one a couple more years though.

Shawn McNew

The Boat has landed

Post by Shawn McNew » July 30th, 2011, 10:00 pm

I got working on the trailer this morning and got it rigged up with 2 bunks so I could at least go pick the boat up. It was real sweatty out, and I had to change out sweat-soaked clothes before I left for Decatur, AL. It was a good trip across Shitville, AL, even with the rain and such. I think the boat's going to work out just fine. 8-) Tomorrow: motor mounting, console bolting, and we'll see what all else....

Fabbed backing plate in action

Through-bolted white oak 3x5-3/4" rough-hewn bunk boards. Used hot dipped 10" carriage bolts.

Finished product with ripped down trex decking for bunk slides. Boat will sit exactly 3/4" above trailer frame.

Nice picture of a classic Buick, but this dern rocket looken thingy kind of takes up most of the photo...

First take of the boat, it's too big for the camera. T&H Atlas hydraulic jack ready to go!

Jeremy doing the inaugural first-winching onto the trailer.

I know they aren't lined up side by side exactly, but this is a big ol jon boat. Console is loose, waiting to figure out where the best place for it will be.

Jamie Townsend

Post by Jamie Townsend » July 31st, 2011, 10:06 am

I like it.

Ezell Cox

Post by Ezell Cox » July 31st, 2011, 12:00 pm

:D I like the way you are putting it togather for what you are doing with it. Everything the right way. Double thumbs up. ;)

Shawn McNew

Motor is ON

Post by Shawn McNew » July 31st, 2011, 5:15 pm

Bryan came over and helped me get this motor on. Nothing ever goes as planned, of course. First problem, trailer will NOT fit in garage to get under my 'motor hoist.' What now? Do what anybody would and build a homemade portable overhead hoist out of 4x4's, right? I call it my motor gallows. It worked out fine, even though it slightly bent the 3/8" carriage bolts I used to slap it together. Next problem: the mounting on the jack plate only required a short bolt and all I had were the 4" bolts that came out of that old boat and they weren't threaded until 2" down the bolt. Run to ACE for bolts OOPS CLOSED ON SUNDAY u-turn and head to Lowes. They had 1/2 x 2" 20 tpi hex head stainless bolts for $4.50 ea and the aircraft nuts were over $3 eash. I got 4 pairs and came back. Fired up the compressor and got the IR impact gun out with a 3/4" socket. Top bolts went down without a problem. Both bottom bolts bound up. Managed to get the left one off by only mangling it with the impact gun. The right one had to be cut off with the sawzall. :evil: :evil: :evil: ANOTHER trip to lowes later, I had 2 more bolts and nuts in exchange for the mangled and cut off ones. When I got back, I put the bolt in the vise and lubed it up and ran it down a couple of times to make sure it wouldn't bind up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Everything went on good. I'm just trying to beat the heat now. Will do more later today.

Is it gonna fit?

I think not, garage opening = 105", trailer = wider than that

Motor wants to go on, but it ain't gonna be easy

The gallows have been constructed

Is it going to work?

Hold my beer and watch this

Finally mounted.

Put the 4 blade surface-cutter stainless on, we'll see if it turns it. This is fully jacked up, photo is level with bottom of boat.

Also started UNprepping the old boat.

Rodholder madness:

Ken Sato

Post by Ken Sato » July 31st, 2011, 6:55 pm

Shawn, that is quite a project. I like the post, almost feels like a McGyver :?: episode. There's nothing like seeing creativity that works, on and off the water.
That is one killer trailer, it costs than my used 17' Fisher that I use on Juliette :mrgreen:
Ken
Ken
aka "Ranger361"

Richard Sexton

Post by Richard Sexton » August 2nd, 2011, 1:11 pm

Cool project and pics! Hope all goes well from here on.
rychrd

Shawn McNew

Motor update: carb rebuild, Steering stuff, Floor idea

Post by Shawn McNew » August 2nd, 2011, 4:28 pm

Took it to Dalton Marine by the house here and let them test run it. The verdict: gummed up carbs from lack of use. It'll be a few days while they clean and rebuild.

Look MOM, no carbs!

Ordered steering box and cable also. Purchasing the steering wheel Ebay style. Everything is going to be in the water and running next week, I hope.

After daydreaming on it for a bit, I pondered the thought of taking up the floor and raising it 4-6" above the ribs which would do 4 very important things:
1) Allow for passage of hoses, cables and wires underneath the floor
2) Widen the floor by 8"
3) Shorten the gunwale height which as of now is 29"
4) Increase the FLAT portion of the floor by tying into the bow curve at a point further forward.

I know it will cost to have that done at a fab shop and take more time, but It makes so much sense, I'm damn near ready to do it. :D but for the sake of the marriage, I'll probably not spend that much more money on it right now.

Shawn McNew

Trailer bunk fab pics

Post by Shawn McNew » August 2nd, 2011, 5:03 pm

This was 2 16' trex boards ($30 each) that I eventually turned into 32 high quality 2' bunk skids. This was the BIG RIP down at my uncle's sawmill

Some fairly healthy bunk boards. The lighter ones are white oak and they are still green and HEAVY. The long, darker boards are osmose pressure treated stuff.

Shawn McNew

Console Setup

Post by Shawn McNew » August 6th, 2011, 10:10 pm

Ok, I found out yesterday that my water pump is shot out, so Dalton has a little more work to do. Not only was the impeller dry rotted and chunked up, but the steel shroud in the housing was melted somehow. I'll be confident in my motor after these repairs.

The old boat left today for NC, it will be missed.

So I had to go over there and steal my boat away so I could bring it home and start work on it. Since it was 93 today with 93% humidity, I decided to bring the console into my climate-controlled garage and begin work on it. Here's what's happened so far:

Is this bad? :shock: :? :shock:

I've never tackled an entire build from start to finish, so here's the steering kit. That's the console lying down in the back.

Ground clearance!

Measured everything out and labored over where I would put stuff and came up with a pretty good layout. Let the sawing begin.

Everything fits! YES

Fastened and ready for steering wheel.

Mounted graph, and left room on the left for something else.... :? 8-)

Tomorrow, the console goes in, transducer goes on, and some wires and cables get routed. Steering wheel should come in Monday.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » August 7th, 2011, 8:44 pm

Are you guys getting tired of my updates yet? The forum's reallly slow lately and I'm doing what I can without any real news to keep it lively. I'm loving how this rig is coming together. Got the steering cable mounted and set up, throttle bolted on, console bolted down, troller bolted down (got 2 thru-bolts but going to wait until the iPilot comes in to thrubolt all 6), batteries set in, transducer mounted, tach/warning system/trim gauge wired up and mounted, jack plate switch wired up, reinforcement (3/4 marine ply for inside top surface of console), big cables and wires taped up and routed, and smoked a pork loin.

Tomorrow is tm cable running and pre-wiring for lights and I hope my steering wheel comes in. It's got a knob built in! :P

A few pix:

Cables are cleaned up, batteries found a home.

Almost there! :? :| ;) :) :D 8-)

By the way, check out the aluminum-foil fender that I crushed today just by stepping on. I am not too impressed with these trailer people. I'll make a big stinky post about it after I get some of my money back from the dispute I filed with my bank against them last week. :evil:

Dirk Dial

Post by Dirk Dial » August 7th, 2011, 10:40 pm

Looks like you mounted the center console back a little ways, I assume so you can fit one of your large plastic tanks (same kind I use for bait storage at home) in front to put shad in. I used to have a 28 gallon fuel tank I would have given you but I think my wife trashed it and several other things I definitely wanted to keep our last move. You are certainly not boring me with your posts as I am enjoying watching the transformation...

Infact I am getting inspired and I think I am going to re-do the inside of my little jet boat. I was originally planning to get a new hull but looks like I will be too broke for that and I can make some modifications to mine fairly easily to make it more 2 or three person friendly. Right now it is great for just me, but 2 people is a little cramped and 3 is not really an option. The biggest thing holding me back right now is this ridiculous heat... :x I read that Dallas Texas has had 25 consecutive days over 100 degrees and they are expecting 108 with heat index of 115-120 this week, so I guess it could be worse but damn I am tired of sweating all the time.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » August 8th, 2011, 8:54 am

I was telling my wife I should have waited until October to do this. It's hard to get out there and sweat to death and try to concentrate on what you're doing. I couldn't imagine 108 around here with our humidity. http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USTX0327

I'm about to head out and start the wiring now. Always a challenge trying to figure out exactly where everything should go. It's mostly tentative until I get started using it and see where I need to tweak the design. I'm really digging the CC layout so far. Originally I thought I wanted the little console which was 18" wide, but when I saw it, I got scared and bought the 25" one. Seems like a good move as far as putting the steering wheel, gauges, and depthfinder(s) on.

John Yancey

Post by John Yancey » August 8th, 2011, 8:58 am

I too enjoy your posts. Helps to inspire me to get more hands on with things. Hopefully, one day a new bigger jet boat to tweek and play around with.

Richard Sexton

Post by Richard Sexton » August 9th, 2011, 7:50 am

I'm digging the build.
Keep the pics and progress reports coming!
Looks great!
rychrd

Shawn McNew

The verdict is in: 43.0

Post by Shawn McNew » August 10th, 2011, 10:30 pm

It surpassed all expectations and I dare say I could squeeze a couple more mph out of it if I tried. Of course this is the lightest it will ever be. Payload was 3 gallons of gas, trolling motor, me, and 4 batteries. I did fill the 40 vest, but didn't do a speed run after that, although it didn't seem to care when I planed it out. I did catch some shadders out of her as well. I figured if I'm going to take it out, I might as well make it smell like fish. There's some more rigging to do, but it's minimal. H2O pressure gauge, nav lights, switches and outlets. I'm adding 1 more battery to give me 60 volts of fury, and eventually a stereo. It's time to start the build on the new bait tank now.

New power

First sighting on the water

I thought 41.8 was good and then I trimmed up a little more

First fish in the boat, 1" threaddies

And then a few gizzards for good measure. It needs to smell like fish!!

John DiFederico

Post by John DiFederico » August 10th, 2011, 10:54 pm

That's fast for a flat bottom 20 foot boat. You must've been holding your tongue just right.

Congratulations on your new rig looks like a nice ride.
John DiFederico
The Roving Angler.

Ken Sato

Post by Ken Sato » August 11th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Good Job Shawn!!! It must be real satisfying to outfit the boat from scratch.
Ken
aka "Ranger361"

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » August 12th, 2011, 9:28 am

I ran some wires, hooked up the water pressure gauge and added a master switch to the circuit panel. Put in 12 rodholders (more to come) Painted the cable cover and screwed it down, except it's going to have to come up one more time when my second charger comes in so I can run both the plugs to a common inlet port in the back. It's gonna be P-I-M to the P. The gizzards I put in there a couple of days ago are still thriving. all 3 of them. 8-)

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » August 12th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Well, only 1 gizzard left. :( But the good news is I added the bow light and prewired for the courtesy lights and added 4 more rodholders.

Couple of pics:

How many rodholders can you spot? :P

I heart LED's 8-)

How many batteries can you spot? :)

Answers: Rodholders=10 Batteries=5

Bryan Schwartz

Post by Bryan Schwartz » August 12th, 2011, 11:09 pm

You need a leaning post.
Attachments
Cama1.jpg
Cama1.jpg (224.62 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
High-Speed-Welding-1412_800x600-400x300.jpg
High-Speed-Welding-1412_800x600-400x300.jpg (33.77 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
Bubba Bait Tank Pro Staff

Bryan Schwartz

Post by Bryan Schwartz » August 12th, 2011, 11:13 pm

Some more.
Attachments
bd%20stuff%20006.jpg
bd%20stuff%20006.jpg (38.04 KiB) Viewed 7425 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (15.58 KiB) Viewed 7425 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (15.66 KiB) Viewed 7425 times
Bubba Bait Tank Pro Staff

Shawn McNew

More to do and we have an issue

Post by Shawn McNew » August 16th, 2011, 2:13 pm

I love Christmas in August. Some goodies came today and I put them on. Got a heavy duty wheel jack, an additional 2 bank charger, and a switch/breaker panel. Everything is coming together well. The roughness of the morning seas put a whooping on the fasteners in the boat. Especially on the rivets in the floor. My own bolts in the console were coming loose and one almost came OUT. :evil: What should I do to secure the console better? Have it welded to the floor which is also beginning to pop rivets out? It's screwed down in 4 places to the ribs. That's the part of the boat that makes initial contact with the waves, so it gets a pretty good beating.

Santa came dressed in brown today

Out with the old

In with the new, however this jack does NOT have much articulation

Bolt Issues. I put a lock washer on it and retightened as tight as an 18v dewalt will turn it, but I doubt that's going to help.

What is with THESE wire colors on the Guest charger???? What happened to white, black and green? Didn't matter, I spliced in an extension so the plug would be in the back right corner with the other charger. This one went under the console.

Switch board roughed in

It worked well to use another fuse block as the common ground (negative). Now I have fuses/breakers on each side of the component whatever difference that makes... :ugeek:

Something's wrong...

That's better. Nice backlight ambiance!

Gauge cluster and graph going on! Too bad the jack plate switch isn't backlit... :cry:
The toggle switch above is the Main supply power.

Today I got my water pressure gauge kit, it's about to be installed.

Dave Cress

Post by Dave Cress » August 16th, 2011, 4:53 pm

Those Scotchlock wire taps and a wire nut may cause problems in the future, they lead to internal corossion problems in the wire.
ProVle

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » August 16th, 2011, 10:26 pm

Dave Cress wrote:Those Scotchlock wire taps and a wire nut may cause problems in the future, they lead to internal corossion problems in the wire.
True, but I know somebody who can redo it when the need arises. They had 4 years and going on them on my other boat and were more exposed to the elements than these will be. It would be good if we could get some stainless wire!

Shawn McNew

Courtesy lights and Water pressure gauge

Post by Shawn McNew » August 17th, 2011, 11:38 am

Pretty straightforward installs. Location of water pressure hookup on Yamaha 90 revealed!

Nate Criswell

Post by Nate Criswell » August 20th, 2011, 7:22 pm

I'm loving it Chef...that is one work horse of a boat! Can't wait to see it up close...and that leaning post ain't such a bad idear...
Mcvet03

Barry Bertoldi

Post by Barry Bertoldi » September 6th, 2011, 3:56 pm

You might try 9Rivet Nuts) on the floor and console Then use locktite
they make the nuts in aluminum and zink, I use them alot.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » September 6th, 2011, 8:04 pm

Barry Bertoldi wrote:You might try 9Rivet Nuts) on the floor and console Then use locktite
they make the nuts in aluminum and zink, I use them alot.
Good call on that. I'll suggest it to Weld Bilt when I take it back to them and allow them to fix it. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Shawn McNew

More upgrades

Post by Shawn McNew » October 23rd, 2011, 9:51 pm

It's really a work in progress. There's a LOT to do past the point of merely getting your boat fishable. Besides, the bare essentials: Boat, Motor, Batteries, Steering wheel, wiring, lights, troller, rodholders and bait tank. You've got the second layer of storage, courtesy lights, additional rodholders, stereo, switches...And then you have fine tuning stuff like when you figure out exactly where everything is going to go: knick knack holders, plug holders, gas tank brackets, big tank brckets, clean up gob of wires in the back (virtually no hope for that), etc... Here's some of the latest upgrayyydes, I've been pretty handy with the plywood and sabre saw the last couple of days. 8-)

Refitted rodholders with rod and line friendly vinyl coated hooks

Cutting in the new plugs

Nice n clean and fairly weather resistant. Each side has its own switch.

I think I figured out why my jack plate quit working...this handy little 'waterproof' fuse holder T&H provides with their wiring harness isn't exactly waterproof. It's working now! :D

What the hell are these?

Ohhh! Nice. I'm pretty handy with the spray paint too. hah

Plywood knick knack holder, painted of course. :lol:

It's always good to know where these are

Looks like I got some room back there now!

Rick Boyd

Post by Rick Boyd » October 24th, 2011, 6:24 pm

Upgrades are looking good :!: :)

Once you fish in a boat for a while, it becomes clear where stuff needs to go.
Also, it looks like you made just enough room in the back for some seating upgrades. ;)
sportfish

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » October 24th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Rick Boyd wrote:Also, it looks like you made just enough room in the back for some seating upgrades. ;)
You got that right brother. If that's all it takes to prevent a separation, I'm all for it!! LMAO :lol:

Shawn McNew

Back at it

Post by Shawn McNew » September 30th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Ok, here's the latest: Motor UPGRADE. After a few months of research and looking and studying and more looking and red-eyed nights on Craigslist and fearing Craigslist was going to send me a cease and desist letter, I found the Suzuki of my dreams. It was on a Glassstream Intracoastal 21' center console. A VERY nice ride, and almost a shame to take it off that boat. The deal was right at $8k. I called the guy, talked to him, and was setting up financing through my local bank. Tried to get back in touch with him and couldn't. Kept trying. Couldn't. FINALLY rose him on the phone a couple days later only to have him inform me that he sold it to someone else. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Fast forward about 2 months. More searching, considering other options, etec, merc, yamaha, 2 stroke, 3 stroke, 4 stroke, 115 hp, 150 hp...nothing will suit this rig but a 140 Suzuki. 2.0 liters, 4 cylinders, 410 lbs of fuel-sipping water ripping 4 stroke engineering...A search of Columbia, SC revealed an oldass bass boat with a newer-ass 140 'zuke! Asking price 6,500. I called and asked them if they could send pics since there weren't any on the ad. She asked "pictures???" like I'd asked her to murder her firstborn with a pack of 3/0 octupus hooks! Their ad said call between Wed and Sat 8-5. I was like WTF? So that was on Sat when we talked. I got no pics or correspondence that day, so patiently waited until Wed to call back. Forgot and ended up calling them Thurs. they were apologetic and said they'd forgot. I finally got some pics and saw what I figured I'd see. A 9 year old motor that lived it's whole life outside. But it's supposed to have less than 100 hours and I ended up picking up the rig for 5,200. Got back here yesterday after 5 pm and had motors swapped, rigged up, wired in and ready to go (minus the steering link) in less than 24 hours. Here's the pics of the mayhem...worked until almost midnight last night doing the heavy lifting.

MarcFloyd

Post by MarcFloyd » September 30th, 2012, 11:25 pm

Congrats. Looks nice.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » October 1st, 2012, 8:50 am

MarcFloyd wrote:Congrats. Looks nice.
Well since you wouldn't trade me yours, I figured I'd go ahead and find one on my own! ;) :lol: :lol:

David Powell

Post by David Powell » October 1st, 2012, 11:18 am

Talk about putting some pressure on yourself right before the big trip! Looks good.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » October 1st, 2012, 3:49 pm

I got the drag link and the steering is hooked up. If it will quit raining I can finish the install!!! It's raining with sunshine right now. :evil:

Randy Roy

Post by Randy Roy » October 1st, 2012, 7:34 pm

I assume you have access to a garage. If not you can use mine.

Shawn McNew

The Verdict

Post by Shawn McNew » October 1st, 2012, 8:57 pm

got the steering link thanks to the guys at the Grass Shack over on lanier. Install was a cinch. I was worried about the non-hydraulic nature of my steering and the torque of the motor, but then realized I have a no-feedback system and it isn't bad at all. I can let go of the wheel with no repercussion. 8-) Didn't get to change gear and foot oil today, will do it tomorrow. Hoping for no milk on that. I figured how many hours are on it thanks to reading the manual from cover to cover. The suzuki tach gauge will tell you how many hours are on it when you turn the ignition on. It is analog, but the dial points to the correct number/10. It goes up to 540 hours which is 5,400 on the tach, then one of the lights will flash one flash and the dial will reset each 500 hour increment. After 1,040 hours, the light flashes twice. After 1,540, thrice. After 2,040 you're on your own, or the dealer has to check it I guess. When I turn ignition on, the needle goes to 2,000 indicating 200 hours on the motor. Not the "under 100" they had said, but still pretty good for a 2003 model!

This is with a few hundred more lbs of gear and water than the 43.0 mph set by the 90 yammy. This was done with a 13-1/4"x20p yamaha stainless 3 blade. It was taching over 6,000 rpm (motor redline is at 6,200). I have a 14"x22p prop that might eke a couple more mph before hitting redline, but it's really not necessary. My other prop is a 14"x14p 4 blade high-rake stainless surface prop. The 90 wouldn't turn it. I'm going to try it on this motor, but it probably isn't right for it. I think it's more of a racing prop for lighter boats. I also have a 21p aluminum I might try. I think the right blade has a LOT to do with how a motor will push a load. Not just diameterXpitch, but the style of blade and material.

It still floats with the extra 149 lbs out there!

The clear waters of Allatoona:

Keith Prather

Post by Keith Prather » October 3rd, 2012, 12:46 am

That is a good motor. 6200 is a little too high on my 115. I went up to a 21 pitch 4 blade. Little slow out of the hole but good speed when loaded up. My experience is the tach is not a good indicator of hours. Always showed higher than it should. Glad you found one.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » October 3rd, 2012, 7:16 am

According to the manual, the 115 tops out at 6,000 and the 90's max revs is at 5,500. I read it cover to cover :geek: .

Yesterday I changed all the fluids top and bottom, greased all points, put in new spark plugs and went out and tried 3 different props.

14p 4 blade surface cutter: great hole shot, runs at any jack setting (designed to run half out of the water), max speed: 36
22p stainless suzuki prop (oem blade): slow hole shot, below max rpm range, max speed: 40-41
21p aluminum: good hole shot, good mid range rpm, max speed 42-43

Went back to the first prop that got me to 46.9 the day before (20p yamaha stainless) to see how much the extra batteries affected performance, as well as weather and water conditions and only ran 45 mph. The difference was no chop on the surface. I think I'll go with the yamaha blade and keep the aluminum on board for backup. 8-) Ready for SSTG.

Return to “Show Us Your Rig”