Mward's new towing rig.....

What are we looking for if we want to see you on the water?
Mike Ward

Mward's new towing rig.....

Post by Mike Ward » August 1st, 2016, 1:31 pm

Been wanting to do this for a long time but things never aligned..... Always had cars or smaller SUVs. About 2 years ago a semi side-swiped my wife and kids in the mini-van totaling that, and we ended up replacing it with a Surburban which gave me the option for something that could tow the boat if needed - but it's hard to pry that away from her these days....

Things aligned and I traded in the Mazda 6 for something else red and shiny..... :jiggy:

Need to get some more / better pics, but this will do for now...

My new toy! 2016 Ford F-150 4x4 w/ 3.5 Eco-boost

mwardncsu

Patrick Spinks

Re: Mward's new towing rig.....

Post by Patrick Spinks » August 1st, 2016, 1:47 pm

You'll love it Mike. I got the same truck except silver in color. Only complaint, turning radius sucks!!

I've pulled everything from my 19' aluminum boat to an 8k lb skid steer. Wouldn't want to pull the skid steer on a regular basis but it handled it fine.

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » August 1st, 2016, 2:05 pm

Patrick Spinks wrote: Only complaint, turning radius sucks!!.
Oh, it's taking a bit of getting used to coming from a much shorter and lower vehicle..... going through the tight turn in the drive-through this AM was interesting.... going into the garage the 1st time was a bit dicey as well - found out that the 360 degree camera does have some value :mrgreen:
mwardncsu

will hackney

Post by will hackney » August 1st, 2016, 2:11 pm

Congrats! Beautiful truck.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » August 1st, 2016, 2:46 pm

CONGRATS!! Hey man, we got matching colors! Occasional towing with a 1/2 ton is great, they'll pretty much pull whatever you need with plenty of gusto.

Stopping is a different story, and with how light the new 150's are, I really can't see myself using a 4500 lb truck to constantly tow a boat that regularly weighs in excess of 6000 and a trailer and tank in the back that weigh around 10000 together during stocking season. Another huge difference is ride compliance with the load behind you, kind of like a 3rd grader trying to shake a pro football player. Also downshifting on even the slightest grade with gas motors gets on my nerves. BOOoooWOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

My trailer came off going to Florida (haven't talked about this in public yet) at 75 mph and fortunately the tanks were empty. I forgot to latch it because I couldn't close the latch initially and then got busy doing other stuff getting ready to be gone for 5 days and forgot to latch it when I pulled forward a tad. It got bounced off just south of Atlanta and I was VERY lucky to be in the far right lane of 3 lanes at the time. Also very lucky was that nobody was directly beside me because when it dropped onto the chains, it started oscillating as hard side to side as I've ever had. It was covering 2 lanes as I tried to maintain a straight line with the steering wheel and hit the brakes as hard as I could without tearing things up beyond the usable point.

The interstate traffic behind me all but stopped as I got it reigned in and I was able to ease off to the right. Fortunately there were construction barrels nearby and I barricaded myself off from traffic while I fixed the problem. Some rods got beat up and a reel was broken when the cooler was flinging side to side in the back. The 100 gallon BA in the front left white skid lines in the floor where it was pinballing on the inside of the rig. The bow eye which is a piece of 1/2" plate aluminum had deep cuts in it from the winch hook which is basically all that was holding the boat on the trailer since I don't believe in transom straps. Anyways, I got lucky with minimal damage, but the moral is that if I had a light truck with less inertia/momentum/traction, I believe things would have ended up much worse than they did.

Still a badass truck and it should go a LONG way! My dad also got an F-150 with the 5.0 v-8 in that same color last year.

Here is his hooked up!

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » August 1st, 2016, 3:36 pm

Damn - glad that didn't end up worse that it did..... I'm with you on the benefits of stopping power of a heavier truck - but with a 80+ mile a day commute and not towing daily, trade-offs were made ;) A F-250 Diesel is still my dream truck for "one day"... until then, it's baby brother will do :D
mwardncsu

MarcFloyd

Post by MarcFloyd » August 1st, 2016, 5:03 pm

Nice truck. Did it come with the joystick for backing up? Like to color.

Mike Werner

Post by Mike Werner » August 1st, 2016, 6:08 pm

Nice. I hope I don't catch "new truck" fever.

travis mabe

Post by travis mabe » August 1st, 2016, 6:47 pm

:tupl:

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » August 1st, 2016, 8:39 pm

MarcFloyd wrote:Nice truck. Did it come with the joystick for backing up? Like to color.
Well, not a joystick but a knob - turn right a little bit to make the trailer go right, turn it right a lot to make it go right a lot, let go and it centered and the trailer backs straight from there while the wheel spins all around crazy like on its own to make the truck do what it needs to do for the trailer to do what you want.

Not tried it yet - just watched the videos. Sort of feel like you have to turn in your Man Car if you use it 8-) Of course the truck can also parallel park for me :joker:

I wanted the tow mirrors but could not find one with them with the other stuff - may have to go back and add them later but it's gonna be pricey for some mirrors - hoping I can find some at a junkyard at some point.
mwardncsu

Larry Scott

Post by Larry Scott » August 1st, 2016, 8:46 pm

OMG what's so hard about backing a trailer that system is nuts!! but my wife could use it!

Nice truck have heard lots of good things about the new f150 and ecoboost

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » August 1st, 2016, 8:48 pm

Larry Scott wrote:OMG what's so hard about backing a trailer that system is nuts!! but my wife could use it!

Nice truck have heard lots of good things about the new f150 and ecoboost
Notice all the videos show them backing pleasure boats and not one fishing boat :cool2:
mwardncsu

Larry Scott

Re: Mward's new towing rig......

Post by Larry Scott » August 1st, 2016, 8:57 pm

We have our fill of them damm wakeboats and the knuckleheads that own them ... I own a 26 ft pleasure boat but i respect other boaters and docks and such and really watch my wake

Was on the dock tonight and had a couple of the wakesetter boats go ing back and forth creating 4 ft rollers right at multiple private docks. No care at all

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » August 1st, 2016, 9:44 pm

I like the cut away at 2:27 where they took out the part where he pulls forward and backward 3 times. :joker:

Jay Daniel

Post by Jay Daniel » August 2nd, 2016, 6:53 am

Nice truck Mike! Thise eco's seem to be pretty good motors. Did you look at the Dodge ecodiesel at all? My old man has one and is averaging 27mpg highway. I do like the way the F150's look over the Dodge's though. :tupl:

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » August 2nd, 2016, 7:16 am

Jay - I honestly did not look at them close as I could not like the Ram looks but also the interior and feature the way I did the F150. That's good gas mileage though for sure and have read good things about it. Word is Ford has an "Eco-diesel" coming in 2018 I think. I'm sure all the mfgs are having to fight to meet CAFE standards harder and harder
mwardncsu

Steve Hightower

Post by Steve Hightower » August 2nd, 2016, 11:53 pm

Nice truck mike!~
My Grandpa's favorite fishing phrase...."Come on baby... Hit me one more time Loretta!!"

Return to “Show Us Your Rig”