Great weekend - thanks all

Mike Ward

Great weekend - thanks all

Post by Mike Ward » October 7th, 2012, 6:50 pm

Had a great time this weekend - the weather made the fishing a little tough it seemed but we did catch fish and had fun doing so and more importantly I had a great time getting a chance to put a face on more of you here on the Soup. (I'm just waiting to hear reports of how those that fished today tore it up....)

Shawn - thanks again for letting me jump on and tag along - even if we did manage to break off a few of your skipjack rigs. John - thanks as well....

A special Thank You to the Trembly's for hosting us - a great family, especially with the addition of Snoop aka Blood Dog. JT - you have a beautiful place there on Watt's Bar and I appreciate your sharing it with us for the weekend.

Also thanks to Mike Werner's better half for the incredible cake......

I'll upload the pics I've got later on this week and post....
mwardncsu

Eric Peace

Re: Great weekend - thanks all

Post by Eric Peace » October 7th, 2012, 9:40 pm

It was an AWESOME SSTG fo' sho! Great seeing old friends and making new ones. The Trembleys, once again, made it possible for all of us to gather, greet, fish, eat etc...WONDERFUL hosts and friends!

Thank you to all who took the time to participate-bring goodies, cook, show new apps (thanks Mike W.!), bring cakes, set up, clean up, entertain, catch bait, bare gifts, take pictures, net blood dog and so forth........

Chef, THANK YOU for making this all possible!

Will begin to post pics/vid/reports TOMORROW. Hope to get a can, Can Man! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike Werner

Post by Mike Werner » October 8th, 2012, 9:29 am

I had a really great time at this years Soup Troup. Got to see some old friends and meet some new ones. The cast net competition was pretty fun this year. If I didn't have a friend with a bait store, I'd have to take one of those guys along with me. I will say with the dogs around, some were much more committed to throwing the net than others, and I'll leave it at that.

The cool snap, beautiful Whites Creek, good eats, shooting the shit around the fire pit right there on the water - great stuff. We got a new grandson this week (6 weeks premie, but doing good) so it was kind of a whirlwind trip for me and I wasn't able to fish. I'm sorry I missed Chad and Michael and the other guys who were there earlier in the week.

I would like to thank our gracious hosts for having us again this year. Thanks to Shawn for putting it together and a hat tip for him and his designer for some nice Soup T shirts. Marie was very gratified by all of the kind comments I shared with her about the cake. There were a couple of Soup Troup firsts, including the consumption of at least two salads. JT said that every get Soup Troup gathering has its own character, and this years was a good one.

Chad Gilmore

Post by Chad Gilmore » October 9th, 2012, 7:34 am

great time at the 2012 SSTG. Sorry I had to leave due to kids sports obligations.

First I would like to say.....wow, the Trembley's home and property is amazing. What a spot for a gathering! Thank you for allowing us to invade and share your slice of heaven.

Thanks to Shawn for having me on his sled Thur and Fri. I got to see a lot of great water and learned some great techniques and tricks on TN bait acquisition.

It was great meeting Soup folks and hang out and talk about fishing and life. I'm looking forward to the next one.
HokieChad

Jonathanharrison

Post by Jonathanharrison » October 9th, 2012, 12:38 pm

thanks to the JT family
It was a blast!
AKA Jonfishmacon

Jeff Trembley

Post by Jeff Trembley » October 11th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Big thanks to everyone for coming out. I wish the bite was a bit stronger, the water was cooler and the sun was sunnier, but regardless... it was great seeing each of you. The Trembley family loves hosting the SSTG every year and it's each of you who make it special. Shawn continues to unify each of us through striper fishing and I'm thankful for the great times we get to share on the water. Until next year, I hope everyone continues to catch!

John Trembley

Post by John Trembley » October 12th, 2012, 7:08 am

To all who attended the SSTG:

The time spent with you was like heaven on earth. Thanks to Mr Smith for bringing Chef striper fishing for the first time years ago! We need to have the Ollie Smith award each year at the SSTG. The Chef is the MASTER of much more than fishing. His passion for every part of what we did this weekend is very special. So thank you Shawn. Son Jeff and I spend most of our time fishing with Eric. We are blessed to have such a great friend who understands much about unselfishness and kindness. John "Buzzbait" will be forever linked to our puppy Snoop as it was he who first aquainted her with the fish blood, hence the SSTG nickname of "BloodDog". Joanne is actually calling her blooddog on occasion! The cake was unbelievable, John and Amanda need to bring their kids here someday to play with our granddaughter, to Randy, Mike, Chad, Mark, Mr Shannon, and everyone it was special.

Next year we hope to be here and have the honor of hosting again. I have some thoughts about the SSTG of 2013 which I choose to initiate to the forum now:

1. Can we have the SSTG 2013 in early November? Rationale is the stripe WILL be running in White's Creek area of the lake. We can fish right in front of the cabin, catch MANY fish 8-30 lbs, keep the fire pit burning non-stop, enjoy more comaraderie, less time-energy-money hauling boats all over East TN and hang out. Sure the weather will be colder. Those who camp will have to cowboy up, those who sleep inside our cabin will have to be careful to not tease the freezing campers and the cold weather will clear out the warm weather wussy pilgrims who aint real fishermen anyhow!!!!!

2. Regardless of when we hold the SSTG 2013, we WILL have organized food preparation! If OK with all, I will VOLunteer to orchestrate the FINAL MANIFEST of who WILL be attending say 7 days prior to the start. WHen that is confirmed I can organize the meal assignments. Each person attending will have responsibilities of food, firewood, clean-up, etc. If those attending would rather freewheel it..all good with me but just a suggestion? (If y'all dont like my idea...piss on you.)

3. I am working on a sponsor for the 2013 SSTG which will donate a 2012 Carolina Skiff 19' DLV with 24 Volt Remote Trolling Motor, Lowrence HDs10 and 115 4-stroke Yamaha. This rig is valued at $24,000. I am pretty sure the dealer friend of mine will donate the boat to be won in our SSTG tournament. We MUST have no less than 28 fishermen register for the event. Of course there will be a small fee to enter the tournament as is protocol for prize tournaments.

4. THANK YOU to Eric's wife for the Advocare Spark product sent to me for a Christmas present!!! Hey fellers...get with the program and order some Spark from Eric's wife. The product is amazing...IF QUESTIONS CALL OR ASK HIM!!!!!!

5. To those who could not attend this year...mark your calendars for 2013...the first or second weekend of NOV. We need feedback on the date ASAP!!!!

John Trembley and BloodDog

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » October 12th, 2012, 7:57 am

Well, the 1st weekend of Nov, 2013 coincides with Halloween, so it would have to be the 2nd weekend which is the 8-9th. I am good with that! If big JT gets the Striper Soup Shithole sleeping quarters built, we might have barracks for most who attend. I think he only charges $50 per night for accommodations in the Shithole. Nobody will be forced to do anything or sleep anywhere they don't want to. We will again attempt to not conflict with any other gatherings such as Easter, or the TSBA fish fry.

The fishing should be closer and better that time of year, as JT says. Hopefully, we won't have power issues to the community bait hole which causes the death of 1000 shad. I had all of them named. :( :( I know we had about 10 guys who said they were coming back down last minute. Don't let that be a trend! We won't harass you that much next year, so plan on coming on back out in 2013.

I really enjoyed the camaraderie, fishing, bait catching, bonfiring, bs'ing, chilling, snoring (thanks buzzbait), cast netting (thanks blooddog), bank fishing (37 lb blue cat ala Little Chef), and everything else.

Hopefully next year we will have some more competitors in the PRO cast netting division. The Amateur division was tough and although all competitors gave great efforts, there was a clear winner. One of the striper "new" guys, John Weir, showed his netting accuracy and spreadability by taking the 2012 SSTG netting championship and first prize. Coming in a close second was a non-member, but hardcore netter and friend of the Soup family, Nathan Connelly. Eric Peace earned the "best pancake" award by throwing a +7 on the course, which was the best score in the amateur division. He was awarded a gift certificate for IHOP! Way to go to everybody who entered the competition.

Our next big event is the FYAOSBO, so look for that coming up in the month of December.

Chad Gilmore

Post by Chad Gilmore » October 12th, 2012, 9:51 am

November would be awesome! The fall baseball season will be over and I can stay for all the activities.....
HokieChad

Eric Peace

Post by Eric Peace » October 12th, 2012, 1:12 pm

Good to hear from you John! Thank you again for letting all of us hunker down at your place...I had a blast with you guys!!!

As for the date, there is no perfect one for everybody, obviously. I REALLY like the idea of fishing mostly the lake and an occasional field trip vs. the constant traveling...2nd week in November works for me!!!

John Trembley

Who left the Bass Pro children chairs at our place?

Post by John Trembley » October 14th, 2012, 6:27 pm

We will hold onto them for whoever...just let me know to whom they belong! Thanks.

John Trembley

Post by John Trembley » October 27th, 2012, 9:39 pm

Where is everyone? We are hosting the 2012 SSTG again this weekend! Free food, beer and "blooddog puppies". We have a 2500 gal tank with trout and skipjack. Free Fillet Mignon for everyone...

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » October 28th, 2012, 6:22 am

Are we making it a monthly deal now? 8-)

Return to “2012 SSTG”