Another FNG from Knoxville TN.

You may not be new to striper fishing, but you're still a NEWBIE here! It's ok, tell us about yourself. Don't forget to update your location.
JamesPedalino

Another FNG from Knoxville TN.

Post by JamesPedalino » November 13th, 2017, 12:52 pm

Hey everyone. I'm sure u can tell, my name is James. I'm a nood here on the forum, but also to fishing in general. Grew up in Florida, and spent time fishing off the dock like most kids. Used to be able to throw a cast net and everything. But if was mostly just cause I was a kid and hate being inside. Many many years later and I haven't touched a rod in almost 20yrs.

My girlfriend got me back into it because she said all I ever think about is jeeps. So I started fishing w her. Mostly just whatever, then I started fishing mostly for bass, and started fishing even without her. Then for my birthday she got us a guide who took us below watts bar dam, and that was the most fun I've had fishing. So much that we started going to big fish outfitters every Saturday and Sunday morning and fishing from the bank at melton hill. Needless to say, I just bought my first boat, the bite at the dams has seemed to slow down for us, but I'm ate up with it. I want to learn how to go find the striper in other places than the dam, I wanna get me another cast net and catch my own bait (not to stop buying from big fish, just because it looks like just as much fun as fishing the big fish). I'm hoping to soak up as much knowledge as this forum is willing to give. I could come up with a million questions and whatever I can't find with the search function, you guys will see it posted.

Thanks for allowing me into forum, and I look forward to whay the future holds.

Mike Ward

Re: Another FNG from Knoxville TN.

Post by Mike Ward » November 13th, 2017, 1:41 pm

Ahh.... you've been sucked in.... the real fun begins..... the easy pickings the dam are mostly done for the season, but that's why its challenging - you're in a wonderful spot with so many excellent options. Just go ahead and leave your credit card with Dave and the boys at the shop until you get fully outfitted....

Lots of good info to learn here.....
mwardncsu

Mike Werner

Post by Mike Werner » November 13th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Welcome James. Lots of good folks around there to learn from. Tons of info here on the Soup too.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » November 15th, 2017, 10:21 am

Glad to have another motivated striper soul in the Soup! Sometimes you have to think about where the fish are going to end up. When they leave an area, they go to another. The obvious choice is an area with lots of food. Without putting coordinates on the forum, look around in creeks and coves this time of year for big wads of shad. Fish will be near the groceries.

Don't forget to update your location in your User Control Panel!

JamesPedalino

Post by JamesPedalino » November 15th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Thanks. Got the profile taken care of. Is there any good resources besides this board that I should b studying top learn how to pattern these striper? Information on the world wide web seems very vague when u compare it to most other game fish. Especially largemouth.

I actually appreciate no coordinates, I'd like to learn how to find them on my own even if it's with a bunch of trial and error. What is their ideal environment? Water temps? Weather? All the things that lead to pattern. I'd rather have a good grasp on this info over knowing where a couple "good hole for this time of year kinda thing.

will hackney

Post by will hackney » November 15th, 2017, 2:04 pm

If you know someone that owns "Monster Stripers Vols. 1 and 2" you might want to watch those. Very entertaining, but also some good info on the seasonal movements/water temp preferences/bait trends/ etc. of striped bass. Joining the TSBA might be another good move. Going to the meetings will teach you a lot and introduce you to more experienced fisherman that you can learn from.

Justin Rose

Post by Justin Rose » November 16th, 2017, 6:13 pm

Welcome James! There is lot of info on this forum about catching fish in East, TN. Another option is to look through the TN striped bass association facebook page. Its a little more difficult platform to read through but there is some info on there too. Ezell Cox has an article on here somewhere about Striped Bass migration that is a must read. Good Luck!

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”