View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 26th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 creek fishing for stripers 

Post creek fishing for stripers
Hey guys, for those of you who don't have the deep lakes with a thermocline that hold stripers in the heat of the summer, what are some of your strategies for striper fishing back in the creeks? Our Coosa River stripe migrate way up some of our creeks, and are very spooky. Just wondering if any of you fish for stripe like that and if so maybe you'd share some tips that we could use over here. Thanks

July 15th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Post Re: creek fishing for stripers
Freelined gizzard shad around current with blow downs . Throw shad out and chum to see where they are hiding. Sometimes they will only hit with light line. What kind of water temps are you finding in your creeks.

July 16th, 2017, 11:13 am

Thanks Jamie, creek temps around here still range from low 80's in morning to mid 80's. Some are spring fed and maybe cooler. Our best bets have been live shad early and cut bait later. Thanks for your input and help, our creeks really not wide enough to use boards. I appreciate all the tips you can give. I am guessing that the temps on the bottom of the creeks must be a good bit cooler, because otherwise it seems odd that these stripe could use water in the mid 80's. We also seem to find a lot more fish in the bends. Do you find that to be true where you fish as well? thanks again

July 16th, 2017, 1:14 pm
3 Can Dos
3 Can Dos

I cannot imagine a striper in an 80 degree creek for any amount of time. Must be a spring somewhere. I'd get out of that creek and go for cooler water.

July 16th, 2017, 2:35 pm
Profile WWW

Mickey, I know it defies logic. We have 3 major creeks on Neely Henry on the lower end. All 3 have springs in the back, but the surface temps in the first mile or so of the creek is in the low 80's. the cooler water is way up the creeks, but we do catch stripe moving up and down the creek. Mostly early and late. I caught a couple on Friday morning in 8 ft of water with a surface temp of 83. I don't understand it myself. I am still learning myself .

July 16th, 2017, 4:19 pm

The cold water is on the bottom. When Neely begins to generate or stops generating, there is significant water movement into and out of the creeks and my guess is this triggers a tidal feeding response out of the fish. The goal would be to chart the generation schedule and release amounts versus when the fish feed and you will see a pattern emerge. That's my guess.

July 16th, 2017, 5:20 pm

I think your right Shawn, I guess when water is being pulled out of the creeks, it pulls that cooler spring water further towards the mouth? It seems like a much better bite when water pulled out of the HNeely creeks.....unless you want to go far up those creeks. Our district biologist is a friend of mine and he has rightfully predicted that the summer rains last July warmed the cool water creeks and combined with the drought may have severely stressed or killed our larger fish. We have had trouble catching fish larger than 12-15 lbs. Since the state opened the conversion dam at Weiss, there is consistent flow therefore stocking Neely each year. By the way, thanks for keeping this forum going, it is a great way to learn and I have enjoyed it a lot.

July 16th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Jamie Townsend wrote:
Freelined gizzard shad around current with blow downs . Throw shad out and chum to see where they are hiding. Sometimes they will only hit with light line.

^ this is solid info.

July 20th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Jamie,

When you freeline the shad, are you drifting with current, using the trolling motor or anchored? Is your bite better with the water being pulled out of the creek or backing up? Thanks for the helpful advice.

July 22nd, 2017, 3:23 pm

Mostly anchored. It doesn't matter which way the current is going if your on the fish.

July 22nd, 2017, 5:11 pm

charles nails wrote:
Jamie,

When you freeline the shad, are you drifting with current, using the trolling motor or anchored? Is your bite better with the water being pulled out of the creek or backing up? Thanks for the helpful advice.

Anchored and definitely better when flowing NOT backing up. Also tail hook live bait works best NOT hook through dorsal fin or snout as they tangle with leader/sinker. Bloody cut bait works pretty darn well. If you are not catching anything it is either because no fish there or you are not making good fish calling sounds..try shouting "I HATE ALABAMA" and it may bring in the big fish!

July 23rd, 2017, 6:54 pm

Thanks a lot John, that is some great tips. I really learn a lot on this forum. I will go through hating the entire S.E.C if it will get them cranked up! I have taken the tips that I have learned here and caught fish this week from our creeks. Thanks again!

July 23rd, 2017, 11:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]