Taking it on the road.....

Non-area specific place to post general info or questions about Striper.
Mike Ward

Taking it on the road.....

Post by Mike Ward » May 11th, 2017, 9:18 pm

Tyler and I have been talking about this for a while - wanted to try and pull it out last year but it didn't work out - but told ourselves we just had to make it happen, so....

We've decided that we will be kicking off the 2017/2018 Striper Mafia Tournament Series with a "road trip". We will be holding a tournament in the "Striper Holy Land" of East TN (Knoxville, TN area) on October 7, 2017.

More details to be forthcoming in terms of specifics on which water, times, and entry fees, but this will be a "higher stakes" event with higher entry fees and larger payouts with respect to what we've done in our SML events - though we still intend for it to be affordable to a team of anglers making the trip to east TN.

This will be a stand-alone, independent event from our SML events - we will still have the four SML events with best three of four scores going toward the Angler of the Year award on SML.

Hope that we can have a strong Souper representation at this event..... also hoping we can twist Shawn's arm to hold the annual Soup Troop this weekend...... we didn't have a lot of options for dates due to University of Tennessee & Virginia Tech home football games, and then some other tourneys, but I have some trusted input that early Oct would be a good time to target for this and that we can hold a CPR event safely on the right water.

A lot more details to come, but we wanted to push this out there so folks can hold the date. If you're interested in coming we'd like for you to go ahead and pre-register on the website so that we can keep you informed - this is not an absolute committal, but will help us make sure there is enough interest to go through the motions of planning it all and making the trip.

You can register at:

www.StriperMafia.com/registration

mwardncsu

John Trembley

Re: Taking it on the road.....

Post by John Trembley » May 12th, 2017, 7:52 am

OK I did it. If my no good for nothing, worthless, dentist of a son would prefer to stay in Nashville chasing after Victoria Secret model looking ladies INSTEAD of fishing with his Dad, it will only be me and Blooddog, my trusty boxer. If another angler wants a place in my boat if my son is driven by his libido and not desire to catch stripers. I would be glad to offer a spot. My boat is a 19' Carolina Skiff and I have gear and 40 gallon bait tank. I REALLY hope Jeff will come along and see some of the old gang.

Is this a handicapped event? I mean I had a stroke, am old, shart on occasion and seem to be the only person who laughs at my own jokes - plus I only fish a few times a year.....I mean putting me up against David "Damn it guys I keep telling you I am not African American just because my Striper Soup picture makes me look like it" Powell OR Shawn "Fractured Fingers" McNew OR Keith "I needs ta blast another flying shad out of the air with my .45 handgun" Shannon OR Will "Dr Frisbee throw net but at least I catch shad!!!" Hackney is like Jon Harrison getting into a fist fight with Hillary Clinton. (She would wear his ass out.)

SO if it is handicapped and I am guaranteed to win something...I am ALL IN!

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » May 12th, 2017, 10:37 am

John - from what I've seen on Facebook I know what you mean about that son of yours chasing Victoria - sheese..... 8-)

Hopefully he can break away from Nashville for a weekend to join you. It should be a fun event for all and hopefully we'll be able to do as we have on SML and have a good number of raffle prizes for all the teams to have a chance at winning, and we typically use 10% of the pot to raffle back entry fees to the non-winning teams as well - still discussing the specific payout model for this event and exact entry fees, but it will prob be in the $350 - $450/boat range with an optional $50 big fish pot.... will be working to refine that and lock things down on that part of it soon. We're also working to confirm the specifics on water/waters.... This will be at least on Watts Bar - discussion is on-going if we should just allow folks to fish any East TN waters - or if its a more fair playing field for everyone to be limited to the Bar.... Welcome off-line feedback via PM!
mwardncsu

John Trembley

Post by John Trembley » May 12th, 2017, 4:28 pm

I am all in no need to PM unless you want to talk bad about Mike Werner, Will Hackney, Shawn McNew and Stevie Ray Vaughn Hightower. Come to think of it heck lets just trash them so everyone can read it. They are great guys all of whom will attend and I hope finish behind us!!!

Troy Roberson

Post by Troy Roberson » May 12th, 2017, 6:26 pm

Hillary would knock him on his ass. :antlers:

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » August 8th, 2017, 10:53 pm

Ok guys - summer is slipping away - we're inside of 2 months from taking the Striper Mafia Tournament Series on the road.... still have a lot of details I need to get going - namely getting our great sponsors lined back up for a great third season - but we've nailed down a few details on the TN tournament

- Will be held on Watt's Bar waters only
- Catch-Photo-Release format - longest 2 fish
- Team Entry fee will be $400 / Optional Big Fish of $100/team
- 90% payout of Entry Fees - 100% payout of Big Fish fees
- Captains Meeting will be Friday evening at Big Fish Outfitters
- Post-Tournament Check-in / Awards will be at Big Fish Outfitters

A few other Soup-only rules......
- John Trembly is not allowed to fish waterboards
- Jeff Trembly must bring Victoria Secret and all her friends
- Will must fish only NC caught bait
- ShadMan is restricted to artificial baits only
- I don't know this for fact, but I've been told there will be a dozen free live skipjack for all entrants as a present from Big Fish Outfitters
- more to come....

You can pre-register over at www.StriperMafia.com/registration
mwardncsu

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » August 9th, 2017, 12:26 pm

Will share the post on FB on Striper Soup. I will try to fish it, even though I don't like fishing for money....just catching bait for money! Guess I'll have to pull Urigs.

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » August 30th, 2017, 8:56 pm

Starting to get the ducks in a row.....

Rules & Entry Fee / Release form posted to the website: http://www.smlstripermafia.com/rules.html

Event details - including payouts, where to mail the entry fees (check) or you can drop the entry & form off at either Striper Soup Bait & Tackle or at Big Fish Outfitters (cash please) - http://www.smlstripermafia.com/201718-t ... eries.html - entry fees must be received by close of business on Sat 9/23, or post-marked by 9/23.

Do us a favor and pre-register here even if you mail in your form (or drop it off at BFO or SSBT) - as it will help me keep track and get data entered in more quickly - http://www.smlstripermafia.com/registration.html
mwardncsu

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » September 4th, 2017, 9:38 pm

You can also drop off the entry form an entry fees (in cash) at Striper Soup Bait & Tackle in Acworth, GA when you're stopping by there to get some quality shad! Thanks Shawn!
mwardncsu

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » September 18th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Alright - what Soupers are going to represent at the Watts Bar tourney?

Make sure to get your entry fee submitted in the mail by Saturday (must be postmarked by 9/23) or dropped off at Striper Soup Bait & Tackle or Big Fish Outfitters!
mwardncsu

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » September 19th, 2017, 9:27 am

I am in. Last time I checked I was fishing with David Powell and Todd Asher. :chef:

will hackney
2 Can Dos
2 Can Dos

Post by will hackney » September 19th, 2017, 3:31 pm

Shawn McNew wrote:I am in. Last time I checked I was fishing with David Powell and Todd Asher. :chef:

OHHHHHHH SHIT!!!!!!!!!! I am putting my money on that group to win fo' sho'! :worthy:

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » September 28th, 2017, 10:17 am

We're almost ready to roll..... got a busy weekend ahead to get the inside of the trailer finished and then get all the rest of my punch-list taken care of before we head to TN next week!

mwardncsu

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » September 28th, 2017, 11:23 am

That's looking great!

Kyle Bakis

Post by Kyle Bakis » September 28th, 2017, 11:29 am

Trailer looks awesome. Definitely jealous. I actually asked the other chief engineer on my ship if he would come back to work early so I could be home in time to fish the tournament! I told him I'd split my winnings with him!! He said no. I told him that's fine, but he needed to come back in time for me to make it to SSTG...still waiting for an answer... :bounce:

Good luck to everyone! Post reports of the fishing...let me live vicariously through you guys!

Jim Davisson

Post by Jim Davisson » October 7th, 2017, 11:39 am

Good luck to the many soupers representing out there today! First Cub scout campout of the year this weekend or I would have been out there with y'all.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Kyle Bakis

Post by Kyle Bakis » October 7th, 2017, 11:31 pm

Facebook tells me team Big Fish Outfitters (David, Shawn, Todd) pulled out a double win with both first place overall and the biggest fish prize! Way to go gentleman! :bow: Some good pics on the Striper Mafia page. Looks like everyone had fun!

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » October 8th, 2017, 4:39 am

Yep - good representation overall by the Soup - I’ll get pics uploaded and posted here sometime on Sunday when I get back home. Thanks to all that participated.
mwardncsu

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » October 8th, 2017, 11:50 am

Good stuff for sure! Mike W. has a heck of a set up for the awards ceremony. We fished hard (my hands tell me so), and were lucky enough to get a couple of good sized fish and outclass the field. It was a great atmosphere and Big Fish Outfitters is the perfect place to hang out, be surrounded by tons of shad and fishing gear, and talk to a bunch of great striper fishermen from all over the place. Really enjoyed the competition and comradery. I guess winning wasn't too bad either. :hellyea:
Attachments
STDinboat.jpg
STDinboat.jpg (67.73 KiB) Viewed 285 times
stdouble.jpg
stdouble.jpg (192.05 KiB) Viewed 285 times
todddavidmeasuring.jpg
todddavidmeasuring.jpg (336.6 KiB) Viewed 285 times
41.5 incher.jpg
41.5 incher.jpg (82.74 KiB) Viewed 285 times
43 incher'.jpg
43 incher'.jpg (84.73 KiB) Viewed 285 times
smallie.jpg
smallie.jpg (73.18 KiB) Viewed 285 times
layingdown.jpg
layingdown.jpg (436.62 KiB) Viewed 285 times

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » October 8th, 2017, 9:22 pm

Here's a quick recap on top of Shawn's recap. Congrats to David, Todd & Shawn on their 1st & Big Fish win. I wish I had been on the boat with them to catch a few of the 30 fish in those few hours :shock:

We had some great teams from all over the Southeast - TN, SC, GA, VA, AR and I may be missing some. Mix of skill levels - 5 teams came from VA - several of them with no intention of winning, but the tourney being an excuse to come and fish in TN. One of our VA teams brought his son - great bonding experience for them. I hear lots of comments of how they all had a great time fishing regardless of the outcome. Its seeing these opportunities for father/son, friends, etc to get to spend that special fishing time together that makes these worth all the effort in putting on.

14 teams entered - I'll be honest to say I was a little disappointed that we did not have at least 20-25. Was counting on a few that had pre-registered and I did not find out they were not fishing until I had not seen their check and I called to confirm. That said, its a tough call at times - a $500 all-in fee can be a lot - though the travel itself is more costly - and the feeling that you need to pre-fish thus time away from work and all - I get that for sure - and the time of year might have played a part - I did not realize the Lainer Striper Club had an event on that date until last night. Make the entry too high and folks don't think they can afford it or think they will throw away their money. Make it too low and there is not enough potential return for the cost to go. I'm open to what the right amount is - if we had a larger # of teams we could do a split "high-stakes" vs. "open" class or something.

Anyway - regardless of all that I judge this as a successful event. It was our 1st on the road event away from SML. Tyler was planning to come and help but his wife is pregnant and due later in Nov but had some recent complications to where we both decided he needed to stay close to home and not be 5 hours away just in case..... this event was the excuse to push forward and get the trailer and set it up for a "tournament in a box" and it worked out really nice for me in terms of organization & setup - happy with how that turned out.

All the teams were great guys - we had some real quality fish turned in and all but one team I think caught fish on tournament day (one had boat and trailer issues and could not get back to the check-in). Some of you have seen my post on Facebook about this, but we had one situation in which one team had a fish break them off, but the planer board stayed hooked to the line that was hooked to the fish. The board popped up and another team near-by retrieved it and called them over, said here's your board - and of by the way the fish is on it. The fish them came up and the team that had it break them off netted it. They could have turned that fish in and stayed quiet but they called me to see what they should do - after they had revived and released the fish. I had to make the call that it could not be counted as it broke them off and especially since another team retrieved the board - hard call on that one, and as it turned out that fish would have put them perhaps in 3rd (in the money) or at least 4th (and would have yielded them a rod/reel combo from Big Fish Outfitters). It's the integrity of guys like that which makes me proud of the series and what we're building.

I had hoped to come up Thur night and jump on with someone on Friday - and maybe Sun AM, but I was behind the 8-ball getting things ready to travel and then the weather turned nasty for Sun AM so my fishing plans got skunked - tough to come to TN and not wet a line - but that's OK - we created an opportunity for others to do so and enjoy the Striper Holy Land - I'll get my chance again soon enough.... hopefully at SSTG if I can work that out.....

Some more pics of the event below.... thanks again to all of you that came out - and I hope to see you - and others - at our other events in the future!

Tourney Director working over his sponsors...

4th Place - Team Simpson Trucking

3rd Place - Team 84 Degrees

2nd Place - Team Timberkings

1st Place -Team Dream Team - errr I mean Team Big Fish Outfitters

mwardncsu

Patrick Spinks

Post by Patrick Spinks » October 9th, 2017, 10:14 am

Mike, hats off to you for putting on the tournament in the format you do. There are several tournaments around these parts that I wish would move in that direction.

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » October 9th, 2017, 10:42 am

Patrick Spinks wrote:Mike, hats off to you for putting on the tournament in the format you do. There are several tournaments around these parts that I wish would move in that direction.
Do we need to bring the Striper Mafia events that way? If so, where - and what type of entry / payout structure would get the best participation?
mwardncsu

Jim Davisson

Post by Jim Davisson » October 12th, 2017, 9:02 pm

I've got a partner for the next event, Calahan and I are going to give Shawn, David and Todd a run for their money!
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Jason Burnette

Post by Jason Burnette » October 18th, 2017, 7:29 am

Is the next event at SML on 11/11 or will there be another event at Watts?

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » October 18th, 2017, 1:03 pm

Jason Burnette wrote:Is the next event at SML on 11/11 or will there be another event at Watts?
The next four scheduled events are on SML (11/11, 12/9. 3/24 & 4/21). We're talking about potential options to go on the road for another event - either to Watts or maybe somewhere in GA (or both) in the early Spring - or at least again next Fall - will have to see how things shape up, what interest there is, etc....
mwardncsu

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » October 19th, 2017, 5:09 pm

You could have it on Allatoona and have the least fish turned in in a S.M. event! But Striper Soup would be glad to have it here.

Return to “Striper Talk”