View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2017, 8:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Striper fishing 101 

Post Striper fishing 101
Ok, so I been googling for about a month or so now. All I can find is tips for better fishing, but I need a resource along the lines of "striped bass fishing 101" I'm a complete noob when it comes to finding fish, then catching them. Been serious about it for the past 4 or 5 months so still very novice at best. Got hooked onto striper fishing below the dams around here in East TN, but now that the temps have cooled down there isn't much going on below the dams. Now I feel the need to learn how to find and catch striper below the dam, instead of fishing for largemouth or whatever until spring. I keep hearing winter is striper time so I ready to freeze my ass off on the water.

Thanks in advance.

November 14th, 2017, 1:56 pm

Post Re: Striper fishing 101
Whats your fishing setup? Got a boat? Bait tank? can you throw a cast net?

November 15th, 2017, 2:35 pm

Good call Jason.

Yes, I got a boat. Not a typical boat when you think striper. It's a 17ft bass tracker. And, I'm very novice when it comes to boating as well. Growing up in Florida, I'm very familiar with operating a boat, just this is the first one I, myself have owned. I font think it would be very conducive to do a bunch of trolling, altho I think I can get it set up to pull 4 lines or so. Also probably gonna put a recirc on the live well that is in the bass tracker. Hoping to keep bait for 2 days max.

Most of our gear is bass gear, but that change is starting with this Christmas.

I used to b able to throw a net when I was a kid, I'm hoping it won't take long to get the hang of it again

November 15th, 2017, 2:53 pm

ya dont have to freeze your azz to catch stripes in the winter lots of good water to chase stripes

November 16th, 2017, 4:59 pm

Striper are usually 1 of 2 difficulties: 1) hard to find or 2) hard to catch. Sometimes it's both, rarely it's neither. They tend to hold on seasonal patterns that, once you learn, are roughly repeatable year after year. You'll need to either 1) Spend tons of time reading the forum 2) Fish with someone who already knows what to do, or 3) Spend tons of time on the water. If you do all 3, you are guaranteed much success. You need an autopilot trolling motor, rod holders, bait tank, box of hooks swivels weights, planer boards, anchor, boga grip, at least 4 good all-around rod and reel setups, preferably bait casting, with at least 20 lb line.

Come back and talk to me when you've got that.

November 18th, 2017, 12:10 am

Thanks Shawn. I'm working on all 3 right now. I spend a lot of time on the forum even tho I don't always respond. Don't really know enough about anything on the forum to give advice. Mostly just soaking up advise.

Josh and Jordan? at big fish got me going a little this weekend pulling boards. Small setup, one on each side and gave me a crash course to get me going. Saturday didn't have much success as time was limited and didn't know what to expect. Went back out Sunday and had better luck. Didn't really leave an area that wasn't much bigger than 4 or 5 football fields atleast until I get a more time on the water. But it went ok for the first time. Autopilot would b golden. But for now even a transom mounted trolling motor would seem to help. Landed a 10lbr in the first 10 min, caught a little striper a little later, then a couple catfish. Just gotta hone in on setting depth and proper speed.

November 20th, 2017, 11:37 am

Look for the seagulls now. Get in touch. I can help.

November 20th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Ezell Cox wrote:
Look for the seagulls now. Get in touch. I can help.

Awesome! Thanks. We seen a bunch of gulls feeding yesterday and something told me to head that way. Ran out of bait just about the time we made it to them.

November 20th, 2017, 6:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]