River Fishing

Non-area specific place to post general info or questions about Striper.
Rocky Dix

River Fishing

Post by Rocky Dix » April 28th, 2016, 11:27 am

Hey guys,

I was thinking about hitting the river this weekend. In the past I have just let the boat drift with the current and throw a swim bait or bucktail. My concern is the current may be a little swift with the current weather. Question 1: Is it even worth trying to fish if the current is very fast and water is pig muddy??

Question 2: With the current found love for planer boards and directional floats, would anchoring and letting the current take the boards out be feasible?? Is using a swimbait or bucktail a good tactic with the boards, or should I stick with live bait.

Or if another idea would be better, please share!!

Thanks fellas,

Dustin Pate

Re: River Fishing

Post by Dustin Pate » April 28th, 2016, 12:24 pm

Yes fish can be caught in muddy rivers. This is where cut bait becomes king. I prefer to anchor up and fish on bottom. Usually muddy water coincides with stronger current as you mentioned. I will look for features in the river that block or at least slow the current...places like inside bends in the river, rock and shoals, creek mouths and drainages, etc. When I say bottom fishing I don't mean dropping straight down either. I will anchor upstream of whatever feature I am fishing and cast to that spot. I usually have 4 rods but will fish 6 if need be. I like a 1.5-2 oz sinker (no-roll's are great in rivers but eggs will do), leader about 2-3 ft long, and hook sized to bait. I like to keep the bait fresh when using cut. If you aren't getting a bite in 5-10 minutes or maybe a little more its time to put fresh on. Especially true if you know fish should be in the area. Keeping a check on it also lets you keep trash off the baits. If the current is rolling leaves and grasses and they get on the bait, the fish will not bite it.

Jim Davisson

Post by Jim Davisson » April 28th, 2016, 4:18 pm

Anchoring like Dustin described is a good swift/muddy approach. You can also pay out boards in swift current successfully with live and cut bait and is worth the effort when you are on them thick. I use 3way rigs in fast current/floodgates situations with cut and live bait, but as Dustin mentioned has to be checked often for debris. Old school 3 ways will keep your bait flappin in the current just off the bottom or wherever else depending on the leash to the lead. I like two 3ways per rod at times when scary close to floodgates. Also worth mentioning, if you can safely anchor sideways to the current, you can usually fish a few more rods effectively and have a much bigger landing area.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Rocky Dix

Post by Rocky Dix » April 29th, 2016, 8:16 am

Good info! I really haven't thought of cut bait to fish for stripes. I have fished this river throughout the summer and tend to light up the blue cats with cut bluegill. I didn't really think about striper getting hot on cut bait. I will definitely give this a shot! I'm going to try to catch bait this evening and Lord willing watch the sun come up with a bent rod! I will report back in . Thanks a ton fellas!!!

Rocky Dix

Post by Rocky Dix » May 2nd, 2016, 3:38 pm

Made it out to the river this weekend despite the rain and hella current. Managed to catch a few striper and a descent blue catfish.. Couldn't really locate any schools of fish with the electronics so just posted up on some tributary creeks and a few little slack water pools...We didn't burn it down but didn't get skunked! Got my first planer board catch and caught the catfish on cut-bait. Lost a really nice fish on cut-bait too. Thanks Dustin for the tip! :salute: All in all it was a damn fun trip and I got more practice running out planer boards...and I can use all I can get! Thanks again fellas!
Attachments
IMG_1271.jpg
IMG_1271.jpg (18.77 KiB) Viewed 900 times
IMG_1317.jpg
Connected on my first planer board striper! Not a giant but better than none at all!
IMG_1317.jpg (29.33 KiB) Viewed 900 times

Dustin Pate

Post by Dustin Pate » May 2nd, 2016, 4:14 pm

Heck yeah! Nice job!

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the graph in the river. I've never had luck graphing fish in the shallow river. Just fish good areas, like you did, and give it a few minutes. If nothing happens, move on to the next spot.

Jim Davisson

Post by Jim Davisson » May 2nd, 2016, 4:31 pm

Awesome job exploring and a win!

If you have side image you can see fish shallow, but 2D isn't much help. When you are anchored parallel to the river you can see them moving by you on side image at the slowest scroll speed, which can be very helpful to see which ledge they are using to move and to then reposition baits there.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » May 2nd, 2016, 4:40 pm

Nice results!

Check out the rules on Can-Do's - viewtopic.php?f=114&t=4680

Post up in the appropriate reports section, with the designated info and earn "Cans" for bragging rights and the winner of each month gets something if I recall - that's the Chef's area - I just rack and stack the cans......
mwardncsu

Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis » May 2nd, 2016, 6:55 pm

Reward on the effort!

Jim Davisson

Post by Jim Davisson » May 18th, 2016, 10:36 pm

This article I ran across has a lot of great information on this particular topic. Like most of my posts, I don't think any of the active posters on this forum find any of this stuff earth shattering because y'all are pros. However some of the silent majority may. Anyway, river 101 or tailrace 101 either fits when reading the water as described in this article. Just replace the word trout with striper :D

https://www.fix.com/blog/locating-trout-in-a-stream/

Return to “Striper Talk”