Free Seaqualizer release device

Non-area specific place to post general info or questions about Striper.
Dustin Pate

Free Seaqualizer release device

Post by Dustin Pate » August 16th, 2016, 2:17 pm

I saw a link on another fishing site for a free Seaqualizer release device. I figure it was bull, but others had done it and got the device. It is actually offered through Takemefishing.org which is a national organization. Anyway, I signed up and sure enough, I got a shipping confirmation today. Not sure what model but for free dollars I'll give it a try.

Here is the link....

https://www.takemefishing.org/how-to-fi ... aqualizer/

keith shannon

Re: Free Seaqualizer release device

Post by keith shannon » August 16th, 2016, 2:58 pm

I bet it would work great for sending the bodies of dead hookers to the bottom of the lake too....

will hackney

Post by will hackney » August 16th, 2016, 3:28 pm

keith shannon wrote:I bet it would work great for sending the bodies of dead hookers to the bottom of the lake too....
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You da' man Keith!

Dustin Pate

Post by Dustin Pate » August 16th, 2016, 3:36 pm

keith shannon wrote:I bet it would work great for sending the bodies of dead hookers to the bottom of the lake too....

:bow: :bow: :bow: I'll have to take your word on that one!!!

Ezell Cox

Post by Ezell Cox » August 16th, 2016, 5:44 pm

Did you mean dead strippers?

I have investigated some "Deep Release Devises" on stripers. They do work as good as any method for the fish to recover, BUT it is not from barotrauma to the extreme the video was talking about. Summertime stress is accumulated & gets worse the longer the Temperate Bass are deprived of suitable dissolved oxygen & water temperature. One atmosphere, or over 30 feet is all the striper needs if it is going to make it. If the fish has come from depths of 50/60/70+ feet then returned, the stretched organs can not recover. Fizzing or sticking a needle in the air sack of the striper will get the fish off the top of the water & if the water is cold enough on the bottom may not show up again. It will be scavenged before body gas develops to float it up.
I do not want to promote any deep release devises because it suggests it is alright to release fish in late summer, but if you must it is the best way to give it a chance.

One of my favorite cool water places to catch fish has become infested with greedy, irresponsible, rude guides that I can't stand to fish there anymore :cry: , & the reservoir fish are killed when brought to the surface :roll: . I hate summer. :wah:

will hackney

Post by will hackney » August 17th, 2016, 9:20 am

Ezell Cox wrote:
Did you mean dead strippers?

I have investigated some "Deep Release Devises" on stripers. They do work as good as any method for the fish to recover, BUT it is not from barotrauma to the extreme the video was talking about. Summertime stress is accumulated & gets worse the longer the Temperate Bass are deprived of suitable dissolved oxygen & water temperature. One atmosphere, or over 30 feet is all the striper needs if it is going to make it. If the fish has come from depths of 50/60/70+ feet then returned, the stretched organs can not recover. Fizzing or sticking a needle in the air sack of the striper will get the fish off the top of the water & if the water is cold enough on the bottom may not show up again. It will be scavenged before body gas develops to float it up.
I do not want to promote any deep release devises because it suggests it is alright to release fish in late summer, but if you must it is the best way to give it a chance.

One of my favorite cool water places to catch fish has become infested with greedy, irresponsible, rude guides that I can't stand to fish there anymore :cry: , & the reservoir fish are killed when brought to the surface :roll: . I hate summer. :wah:

:rmad: I feel the same way, hopefully they will get tired of fishing all over eachother and go somewhere else..... but probably not :rmad:

David Powell

Post by David Powell » August 17th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Ezell Cox wrote:
I agree and have voiced my opinion to each one of them face to face. It falls on deaf ears though and the response is all the same "I am here for the money and that is it". I believe the years with low flows are the worst since it forces most fish that are in the river into a concentrated area and can make it a little easier to fish. Now that they are running a lot of water most have moved on since the fish have scattered out and harder to fish.

The best thing about the bait shop is being able to educate the regular fishermen on our fisheries. Where and when to keep a limit and quit along with why you should release fish in places that have cool water in the summer. How lucky we all are to fish here in TN and why we should respect these resources. To my own surprise a lot of people listen and I feel like they walk out of the shop with more respect for our waters and a better understanding of the fish then when they came in.

Dustin Pate

Post by Dustin Pate » August 17th, 2016, 3:34 pm

I didn't mean to post this for it to become political. I think we all know the issues with summer fishing. Hell its free...take it or leave it.

Ezell Cox

Post by Ezell Cox » August 17th, 2016, 3:56 pm

Sorry Dustin. I guess my need to bitch just showed up on your post.

The tool does work.

Jim Davisson

Post by Jim Davisson » August 18th, 2016, 8:57 am

I've fizzed fish in the gulf and burped catfish in the winter. Reeling them up slowly (albeit tough to do when excited) and letting them adjust themselves works. Ripping them up is pretty tough on them.

Very clever device and reminds me of the fish elevator.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

keith shannon

Post by keith shannon » August 18th, 2016, 3:02 pm

Striped bass can't be "burped" like catfish. Catfish have what is often referred to as an "open" swim bladder that is connected to the esophagus. Striped bass have a "closed" swim bladder which can only release gas by dissolving it in the blood and emitting it to the water through the gills. Its a slow process, much slower than reeling it in slowly.

Unfortunately, the only way to prevent barotrauma with striped bass is to not catch them from deep water.

Jim Davisson

Post by Jim Davisson » August 18th, 2016, 3:13 pm

keith shannon wrote:Striped bass can't be "burped" like catfish. Catfish have what is often referred to as an "open" swim bladder that is connected to the esophagus. Striped bass have a "closed" swim bladder which can only release gas by dissolving it in the blood and emitting it to the water through the gills. Its a slow process, much slower than reeling it in slowly.

Unfortunately, the only way to prevent barotrauma with striped bass is to not catch them from deep water.
I understand that and don't fish for striper in warm water period and wasn't opening that can of worms. I feel like this device is aimed almost exclusively at deep salt water fish. Deep sea fish and catfish can equate themselves when brought up slowly, brought up quickly is a different story. Sometimes you have to because of the sharks, I have suffered that penalty before too :twisted:
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

keith shannon

Post by keith shannon » August 18th, 2016, 3:33 pm

I suspect you are right with regard to deep saltwater fish (its even called a SEAqualizer).

I don't understand why people fish for striped bass in warm water.... There are so many other species of fish that can be humanely caught in the heat of the summer.

A buddy and I (and a designated driver) have a drinking game for summer white bass fishing. We both fish with 2 jigs on the line and if one of us reels in a single fish, as opposed to a double, you have to chug a beer. Summer fun....

Jim Davisson

Post by Jim Davisson » August 19th, 2016, 6:48 pm

We need to go White bass fishing!!!

Jay Garrell

Post by Jay Garrell » August 22nd, 2016, 11:21 am

Jim Davisson wrote:We need to go White bass fishing!!!
x2!! :geyes:
The tug is the drug!

Roland Zamorano

Post by Roland Zamorano » August 24th, 2016, 4:59 pm

The link works but it wont let me enter any of my information. They must have run out of the free ones.

Scott Cress

Post by Scott Cress » August 29th, 2016, 6:57 pm

Thanks for sharing. Prob work well on whisker fish

Jay Garrell

Post by Jay Garrell » August 31st, 2016, 4:49 pm

Did they send it to you Dustin??
The tug is the drug!

Scott Cress

Post by Scott Cress » September 20th, 2016, 9:26 pm

I ordered one then got a letter saying they basically will only ship to zip codes near coastal waters.

Tony Hughes

Post by Tony Hughes » October 6th, 2016, 9:27 am

I'll make it easy

Summertime (after thermoclines have formed) Striper fishing is a KILL and Keep pastime - catch your limit and go fish for crapppie ,catfish, or greenfish - thats the responsible thing to do !!

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » October 6th, 2016, 9:37 am

Tony Hughes wrote:I'll make it easy

Summertime (after thermoclines have formed) Striper fishing is a KILL and Keep pastime - catch your limit and go fish for crapppie ,catfish, or greenfish - thats the responsible thing to do !!
x1000000

Return to “Striper Talk”