Maine Stripers

Non-area specific place to post general info or questions about Striper.
Kyle Bakis

Maine Stripers

Post by Kyle Bakis » September 16th, 2016, 11:39 am

For some reason I thought I posted this earlier this summer...

Spent a week with my wife, kids and parents in Boothbay Harbor Maine 7/30 to 8/6 this summer. We do this trip every year I'm not out of the country (every other year basically). This is only the second year we've stayed in this particular house but we've been going to Boothbay for nearly the past decade. Fantastic place...beautiful scenery, and in the summer, awesome weather and good fishing. The house is right on the water with a dock and a mooring to keep my boat on.

Weather was 65-75 degrees all week long with water temps between 55-70 degrees depending on location. Interesting to note...I have NEVER caught a striped bass in Maine in water BELOW 65 degrees? 65-70 seems to be the ideal range and, yet, the preferred bait (Atlantic Mackerel) start to get lethargic and die at 70 and above. The Mackerel are most abundant and prefer locations where the temps are 60-65. Just an observation. In most places where we fish the striper would only have to travel a few miles to reach MUCH colder water.

Speaking of Mackerel...they are seriously underappreciated in the northeast. Abundant, and delicious! They are EVERYWHERE this time of year around Boothbay. My kids have a blast fishing for them! Jigging or trolling a sabiki rig is the method of choice. Lots of fun on light tackle to reel in a rig with a half dozen 6-8" mackerel on it! One more thing about the mackerel...this year I hoped to "revolutionize" striper fishing in Maine by slow trolling them behind boards! The "standard" method is anchor or drift and freeline a mackerel under a float (I use the redi-rig floats). Well, it didn't work as well as I hoped! While I did catch a striper on a board, the mackerel are FAR more stubborn than a shad/alewife/whatever and do nothing but fight against the direction the board tries pulling them until they die. So...I went back to the redi-rig...pitching the bait and freelining!

Anyway, to the stripers... I almost never see the striper in large schools up here (even the small ones). They are only mildly aggressive and seem to travel in groups of 2-3 fish and are very spread out...you have to work for them! We fished every morning and afternoon for 2-3 hours each. Sometimes just for mackerel, sometimes just for stripers, sometimes for both. We ended the week with 6 striper including a beast (relative for this location where a 6lb fish is "good"!) 40" 19lb'er. And the best part, my older daughter (6 y.o.) caught her first striper (7lb) and probably a hundred mackerel. She informed me after catching the striper that from then on she only wants to try to catch the "big" fish! Can't wait till summer 2018 to do it all again!

Views from deck:

Atlantic Mackerel:

Dad trying his best to make his 4.5lb'er look big:

Beautiful morning in Linekin Bay:

Sophia jigging for mackerel:

Kept one of the small fish for dinner. Pan roasted with tomatoes, garlic, onion, olive oil, capers and parsley:

Me with the 19lb "beast" :oops: :

Sophia and her 1st striper :hellyea: :

Mike Ward

Re: Maine Stripers

Post by Mike Ward » September 16th, 2016, 1:08 pm

Cool stuff!
mwardncsu

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » September 16th, 2016, 4:48 pm

Real neat stuff! Great pics.

Mike Werner

Post by Mike Werner » September 16th, 2016, 7:01 pm

That is nice. I spent an August in Maine when I was a kid. Couldn't believe how cold it was up there in the summer. Thanks for the report.

Jim Davisson

Post by Jim Davisson » September 17th, 2016, 11:39 pm

Very cool report and observations.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Return to “Striper Talk”