Striper in muddy waters?

Non-area specific place to post general info or questions about Striper.
Mickey Nightrain

Striper in muddy waters?

Post by Mickey Nightrain » December 2nd, 2016, 9:00 am

So we're finally getting rain and I've always heard that muddy water makes for tough striper fishing. What do you guys do when you show up at your spot and see muddy water?

Jay Garrell

Re: Striper in muddy waters?

Post by Jay Garrell » December 2nd, 2016, 11:35 am

That's a good question and probably for every response you get somewhat of a different answer. I have had pretty good luck fishing in stained water especially in the winter time because that water will be slightly warmer than clear water causing the bait/fish to congregate there. If the water is stained and not washed out full of debris you will still be able to drive through and mark fish/bait. On the other end of the spectrum if the water you are fishing is washed out but you know there are fish there cut bait has been a good producer for me. Picture below was from a river completely washed out from a rain storm but I knew the fish there wouldn't move much and I just had to go fishing so I went and cut baited for a few hours and it paid off.
Attachments
13680167_10104057719659165_8201620455485819472_o[1].jpg
13680167_10104057719659165_8201620455485819472_o[1].jpg (134.05 KiB) Viewed 621 times
The tug is the drug!

Mickey Nightrain

Post by Mickey Nightrain » December 3rd, 2016, 5:26 pm

Thats a nice fish Jay! Yes, I've heard so many different answers I guess the only thing to do is just fish it.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » December 3rd, 2016, 6:31 pm

Cut bait can be the key. They will switch to smell feeding.

Steve Gordon

Post by Steve Gordon » December 4th, 2016, 5:50 pm

how do you typically cut bait fish for striper?
I'd rather be fishing...even if I don't catch anything!

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » December 4th, 2016, 6:40 pm

I like to pull the boat up on the bank, or tie to a tree or log and throw out 6-8 rods off the back. You can also use a couple of anchors but that's a little more of a pain every time you want to move. If you're on the bank, you can get out and light a fire. :)

Steve Gordon

Post by Steve Gordon » December 5th, 2016, 8:30 pm

Shawn McNew wrote:I like to pull the boat up on the bank, or tie to a tree or log and throw out 6-8 rods off the back. You can also use a couple of anchors but that's a little more of a pain every time you want to move. If you're on the bank, you can get out and light a fire. :)
Do you use jig heads like for Walleye or do you use a 3 way swivel and weight? I don't want to sound stupid, but if the shoe fits right?
I'd rather be fishing...even if I don't catch anything!

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » December 6th, 2016, 12:03 am

I use a carolina rig if weight needs to be used. If fishing a lake, I use no weight most of the time. Typically fishing in less than 20 ft. If in current, use the lightest weight you can that won't move when it hits bottom. That will vary greatly depending on water depth/velocity, line diameter, how far you cast, what angle you cast, size/shape of your bait, bottom makeup. Experience will guide you. It's hard to cut bait wrong.

Jay Garrell

Post by Jay Garrell » December 7th, 2016, 3:04 pm

On your C rig you don't need a long leader either I never use one more than 18"-24".

Regardless of water clarity etc. if you find fish that wont take your live bait trolling spend 30 minutes or so and throw out some cut bait it can really salvage a day when the fish are finicky. I almost always save my dead/beat up bait while out fishing just incase I need to do that.
The tug is the drug!

Dustin Pate

Post by Dustin Pate » December 8th, 2016, 12:05 pm

You can go and read some of my spring posts in the West Point section. I fish muddy river water a lot...a lot. The guys have already pretty much covered the basics! On rivers, muddy water is usually in conjunction with higher than normal flows. That means you also need to be looking for current breaks. Cut bait is the major player for sure... and fresh at that. You need to be changing bait after 5-10 minutes if you aren't getting bites. You can also fish muddy water on lakes with cut bait. Mark fish are fish it just like you would a live shad on a down line.

Return to “Striper Talk”