the spring time move

Non-area specific place to post general info or questions about Striper.
will hackney

the spring time move

Post by will hackney » February 24th, 2017, 10:10 pm

Just wanted to get some thoughts on what is the most important factor in triggering stripers to make the move up rivers or creeks in the spring? Water temp? Photo period/angle of the sun? Moon phase? This crazy weather has me wondering which factor may win out and put the fish on the move.

Dustin Pate

Re: the spring time move

Post by Dustin Pate » February 25th, 2017, 8:54 am

I'll give you my thoughts on the subject. No hard facts, just what I've witnessed over the years. I think that water temps are probably the major factor when all said and done. What I mean by that is the following...I believe biologically stripers/hybrids know when it is getting time to make a run. I believe that factors into the sun angle/length of day. Fish down here will begin staging on the lower end of the river and the upper main lake. Some will begin to trickle up river as the water keeps warming. They will hold up in certain areas waiting for everything to get right. I say this because there have been years that the water is still in the 48-52 degree range and fish will be in areas of the river year after year. They just know its time. I know with certainty that the first week of March there will be fish somewhere in the river to be caught. When the water temps reach 58 or so for hybrids and low 60's for stripers things will unfolding much faster. At that time you are waiting on a trigger...a full moon. That full moon will is the final catalyst to make the fish go hard and spawn.

One final thing that I think plays as role is current. A good hard rain event towards the beginning-middle of the spawn seems to make us have a better overall spawning run. It's almost like it helps "pull" the fish up river.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » February 25th, 2017, 10:36 am

The striper run also coincides with the bait run, which is much easier to gauge. Chances are good if the bait is running the fish are there too. They will feed like hell up until about 2 weeks before the spawn and then shut off completely. After the spawn, they resume feeding. If you fish every day like I used to, the timing is obvious.

Ezell Cox

Post by Ezell Cox » February 25th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Good coverage so not much to add. Water warms faster upstream in reservoirs so holds more bait. There is movement already on Norris and Cherokee lakes in East Tenn. The stripers are already on the banks eating huge shad here as the temp is mid 50's mid lake coves & upstream in the evening.

Tyler Everton

Post by Tyler Everton » February 26th, 2017, 10:20 pm

Of the few actual scientific articles I've been able to find, around 64 degrees seems to be the magic number. Encyclopedia of Life has great info on striper if you're a science type of person. http://eol.org/pages/211032/details#reproduction

Return to “Striper Talk”