Pentair HEAVY DUTY Aeration Talk

Non-area specific place to post general info or questions about Striper.
Shawn McNew

Pentair HEAVY DUTY Aeration Talk

Post by Shawn McNew » March 27th, 2017, 4:21 pm

This is some real heavy duty aeration talk but some of the basic bullet points are:
- You can keep 12x the amount of fish with pure oxygen as regular air.
- Placing the air stone deeper dissolves more oxygen
- Fish consume more O at higher temps

These are all things we pretty much know, but this article really puts an exact measure on some of them. Enjoy!

http://pentairaes.com/learn-about-aquac ... mber-tt84/

Jim Davisson

Re: Pentair HEAVY DUTY Aeration Talk

Post by Jim Davisson » March 29th, 2017, 6:12 pm

.07 lbs per gallon is huge, but one advantage fish haulers have is the depth of their tanks and its effect of the residence time the O2 bubble has before it surfaces. The tanks surface area is the second advantage. Sometimes adding mad O2 to a shallow, narrow tank like the ones we all use doesn't accomplish what a tall wide one will with almost no current can. We used to try all kinds of things to haul 12"+ BB herring even just 1 hour lake to 1000 gal home tank, but found that the tank size was more important than O2, current speed, pump size, doping them, venturi type, etc...

Shawn, I'll bet your big fish hauling trailer excels with minimal Venturi action and the O2 rolling.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Jay Daniel

Post by Jay Daniel » April 6th, 2017, 8:50 pm

This might sound a little crazy, but has anyone ever used a oxygen concentrator before? I ran across some on craigslist for pretty cheap. The one I saw will do 5 lpm, but I dont know if this would work with an air stone. I'm guessing they may not provide the adequate pressure needed. I was just thinking of using it in the home tank for the first couple of days until they settle and transport tank on the battery. How much do tanks and oxygen run?

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » April 7th, 2017, 10:40 am

I don't know a lot about the concentrators but they do compress it enough to blow it through a stone. Probably not a ceramic micro diffuser, but a regular stone. I think they have some chemical element that wears out over time that you have to refresh/replace. Might want to do some research before buying. I'd be willing to guess the old ones are used up and the replacement stuff is costly. The ones I've seen concentrate at 93% which is pretty high compared to the 21-22% atmospheric norm. Although you don't need oxygen on home tanks unless you're packing the bait in there super thick.

Return to “Striper Talk”