Weiss Lake meeting with fisheries Biologist last night

Non-area specific place to post general info or questions about Striper.
charles nails

Weiss Lake meeting with fisheries Biologist last night

Post by charles nails » July 18th, 2017, 8:28 am

The meeting was interesting last night in Centre, Al. I am not sure if any of you made the meeting or not. There were roughly 30 guides and fishermen there. Most all of them were in favor of stocking stripe and maybe hybrids in Weiss. Nick Nichols is the chief of Fisheries in Alabama. He indicated that he needed to hear from more fishermen as to whether or not there is a need or want to stock Weiss. He also would have to confer with the Georgia State fisheries to see if there would be any problems since the stripe in Weiss spawn and live in Georgia waters as well. I was in favor of it because I think it might bring in more money to the area and some of those fish will trickle down to Neely Henry. Mr. Nichols wanted to hear from more Weiss lake/Coosa River fishermen before they make a decision on whether or not to stock next spring. If any of you are in favor of stocking Weiss, then you can email him at Nick.Nichols@dcnr.alabama.gov

An interesting side note to the meeting was that he said the stripe spawning in the Rome, Ga area stocks to some degree all the way down to Lake Jordan (Montgomery, Al). He said almost 30% of the small stripers tested in Jordan came from the Rome area. That is kind of mind boggling.

Shawn McNew

Re: Weiss Lake meeting with fisheries Biologist last night

Post by Shawn McNew » July 18th, 2017, 1:08 pm

I will spread that email around. Everybody on this forum who reads this needs to send an email. More striper is ALWAYS more better! Great post and thanks for attending and sharing this info.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » July 18th, 2017, 1:33 pm

The pot has officially been stirred on fakebook. There will be striper stocked in Weiss. Sit back and watch... :chef:

charles nails

Post by charles nails » July 18th, 2017, 3:18 pm

That's great news! We are all in this sport together! I think that they really want to, but need to educate the general public about Stripe and their feeding habits. They had a lot of data. The problem they said is that the average guy at the ramp still thinks stripe eat all the crappie in Weiss and LM bass. They warned everyone that according to spawning records that crappie is due about two down years starting next year. They want everyone to know that maybe only 2% of stripe diet is crappie and stuff. Flathead cats and Bass eat 20x more crappie than that. I believe it will happen because some of the guides who were there each split up political and government organizations in Cherokee County to rally support. Maybe great news for all of us.

Scott Hooks

Post by Scott Hooks » July 18th, 2017, 3:44 pm

:hellyea: :hellyea: :hellyea: this is awesome. i will be doing my part!

Ezell Cox

Post by Ezell Cox » July 18th, 2017, 5:05 pm

That is how you get it done. I sent my message to Nick.Nichols@dcnr.alabama.gov Told him we will come fish & signed it.

Jamie Townsend

Post by Jamie Townsend » July 18th, 2017, 8:25 pm

I wonder if they will stock gulf or Atlantic strain.

charles nails

Post by charles nails » July 18th, 2017, 10:10 pm

Jamie, I can't be for sure on this but I believe that although they prefer the gulf strain, they would probably stock Atlantic because Atlantic already has a history of reproduction on Weiss. They said that it is very easy to produce and stock striper now, unlike years ago. The ADCNR in Alabama has an abundance of striper and hybrids in their hatchery. Their testing has shown an abundance of small stripe in Weiss and Neely Henry. They feel as though the warm summer rains last summer and this summer has pushed the bigger fish way up rivers to the cold water. However, I did get the impression that they wanted to stock Weiss, but really wanted to inform the public of the very low percentage of crappie/bass that stripe eat. There is a huge misconception as all of you know with the average crappie angler. They expect a couple of bad crappie spawns in a couple years because of "hydrolic cycling" whatever that is. They just didn't want people to think that the 2 yr old stripe were eating the crappie.

They didn't seem concerned about the economic impact of striper fishing on Weiss but mostly want to cater to the guys who actually fish the lake and river. In other words if we all want it and ask for it, then I believe we have a good shot at getting it. They really wanted the guys there to help spread the word and educate people on the fact that Stripers live off shad and not other game fish.

Jason Burnette

Post by Jason Burnette » July 20th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Sent my email....along with a few buddies.

Return to “Striper Talk”