Taxidermist...RD retiring

Non-area specific place to post general info or questions about Striper.
John Clay

Taxidermist...RD retiring

Post by John Clay » October 10th, 2017, 6:36 pm

Ralph Dallas is reportedly retiring from taxidermy. This is a big loss. He is the best freshwater Striper taxidermist around, in my opinion. His replica mounts are outstanding. So...if he’s retiring, who is the best freshwater Striper taxidermist in the business? Specifically looking for the best freshwater Striper replica mounts. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
...btw, first post on the soup.

Mike Ward

Re: Taxidermist...RD retiring

Post by Mike Ward » October 10th, 2017, 6:55 pm

Good to see you here John..... I'll be taking note as well cause one day I'll land the one that has to have it's replica doppelgänger go on the wall......
mwardncsu

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » October 10th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Hey John, glad to see you here! I had my replica made at a place in Canada. It is beautiful and much more durable than a skin mount. http://www.advancedtaxidermy.com/index.php

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » October 10th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Shawn McNew wrote:Hey John, glad to see you here! I had my replica made at a place in Canada. It is beautiful and much more durable than a skin mount. http://www.advancedtaxidermy.com/index.php
Pic? If I recall there was one replica you made that....well...... momma always said if you didn't have anything nice to say...... :silenced:
mwardncsu

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » October 11th, 2017, 9:09 am

This was my 53 lber. My main complaint was it ended up too silvery like an ocean striper. But the artwork on it is like nothing I've ever seen. Very beautifully done and not delaminating or discoloring at all.
Attachments
53shawn1.jpg
53shawn1.jpg (499.02 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Mount1.jpg
Mount1.jpg (83.33 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Mount2.jpg
Mount2.jpg (92.23 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Mount3.jpg
Mount3.jpg (77.25 KiB) Viewed 349 times

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » October 11th, 2017, 9:19 am

excellent attention to detail on the scale painting....

I'd love to find a good replica maker wiling to sponsor the tournament series and give the winner of big-fish of the series a replica mount of their fish..... still looking for the right one to approach about it....
mwardncsu

John Clay

Post by John Clay » October 12th, 2017, 11:11 am

Not getting much traction here. Will you leave it up if I repost on the FB page? This is an important topic.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » October 12th, 2017, 1:20 pm

It's not really a bait tank topic John, that's why I took it down. Might get better traction on a more general fishing site.

John Clay

Post by John Clay » October 12th, 2017, 1:34 pm

Doubt it. Mounting freshwater stripers, and especially making good replica mounts of freshwater stripers, is a pretty tight niche. As you know, there are significant differences in ocean run stripers and freshwater stripers of equal length - primarily girth. A saltwater mold simply won’t make a very accurate replica mount of a trophy length freshwater Striper. If there is a good alternative to Ralph, seems likely a Striper fisherman would know about him.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » October 12th, 2017, 1:40 pm

There is a RD mount at Big Fish Outfitters and I'm way not impressed with it. It's got many issues like discoloration in the face (brown stains), delamination of the fins, and the fish is just way too fat to look like it came out of a river. I have not seen a good striper skin mount in a long time and have no idea who to take one to. If I break 60, I will have another replica made by the same guys who did my 53 even if it doesn't have the ridiculous belly look.

John Clay

Post by John Clay » October 12th, 2017, 1:51 pm

If I could figure out how to post pics here, I’d post pics of the 54 Ralph did for my brother. It’s awesome...and I’ve been in his shop and seen all the monsters he has mounted in there. I guess some are better than others but I’d put his work up against any Striper taxidermist I’ve seen. Of course, he’s retiring so it doesn’t really matter how good his work is going forward. Who did yours? I guess nobody else has a better alternative. Either that or nobody is reading this. Ugh.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » October 12th, 2017, 4:24 pm

You can upload your file if you know how to access it on your phone using the upload attachment form below. I have done it on my android but the images were inverted (to me, but not to others) when I went back and looked. Try it and see. You'll have to know how to access your phone's file system.

I think forums like this aren't the place for active info anymore. If you want answers and want them now, it's social media. If you want logbooks of information and subject-specific data like reports or equipment then these old pages are the place to be. We're torn between two worlds right now and it's an awkward time.

Ezell Cox

Post by Ezell Cox » October 12th, 2017, 6:15 pm

Phil Helms with McKenzie Taxidermist supplies.

John Clay

Post by John Clay » October 12th, 2017, 7:40 pm

Thanks Ezell. I’ll look him up. Is he located in East TN?

Scott Cress

Post by Scott Cress » October 30th, 2017, 2:51 pm

I’m (easily) confused. Are we talking replica or skin mount? If skin is what you are looking for David Noem in northern Kentucky is awesome.

Return to “Striper Talk”