Striper Mafia Winter Open - 12/9

Non-area specific place to post general info or questions about Striper.
Mike Ward

Striper Mafia Winter Open - 12/9

Post by Mike Ward » December 10th, 2017, 4:24 pm

Well, we sure got the name of this one right..... snowing from mid-day Fri and did not stop till right at 4pm. Wish it had STARTED about 6am on Saturday as I heard of a good bite on Friday and they must have chewed because overall it was a tough bite on Saturday.

I heard that a few boats in the tourney pulling live bait watched a clinic being put on by Mr. Swamp Monkey and a friend throwing flukes & swim-baits - always keep a fluke at the ready this time of year - especially in the snow!

We had 37 teams brave the conditions - we would have had 40 but we lost a few teams that were coming up out of NC that could not travel until Fri afternoon and the roads between here and there were in tough shape. Good to see several Soupers there - Jay Daniel, Jim Davidson and probably some I'm forgetting).

We collected 150 toys for for Lake Christian Ministries to distribute to families in need - thanks to all of you that contributed and thanks to Sea Tow SML for your help with the collection logistics - also thanks to Striper Sniper Tackle for donating the custom Cashion jigging rod that was raffled off - unfortunately I did not get the name of the person that won it - if you're out there can you let me know.... thanks!

In the Youth division, we had 8 kids keep their parents on the water for the day so they could compete. The winners in the Youth category were:

1st Place - Kaylee - Team PrimeTime - 38.75"
2nd Place - Lauren - Team Linesiders - 37.5"
3rd Place* - Matthew - Team Lawrence - 36.25". (apologies for the data entry mistake that led to us not recognizing you)
3rd Place* - Finn - Team Pontus - 35"

4 Ladies competed, vying for the. beautiful time-piece donated by Haywood Jewelers in series-long completion for longest ladies fish. Renee Kissella moved to the top of the Lady's ranking, in an attempt to defend her Lady's Champion title from last season - with a nice 36.5" striper

In the overall competition, 23 of the 37 teams checked in fish. A number of teams had one nice fish, but either could not find another to go with it, or found a smaller to mid-sized fish. Only one team was able to muster two good fish to the check-in - bringing them both 1st Place & Big Fish honors....

1st Place:
Team Prime Time - Fish 1: 36.5" / Fish 2: 38.75" - Total 75.25" - $1900

2nd Place:
Team STRIKE ZONE - Fish 1: 30.75" / Fish 2: 36.55" - Total 67.25" - $850

3rd Place:
Team Blackwater Bruisers - Fish 1: 29.25" / Fish 2: 35" - Total 64.25" - $400

4th Place:
Team Linesiders - Fish 1: 26" / Fish 2: 37.5" - Total 63.5" - $280

Big Fish:
Team Prime Time - 38.75" - $900

4 teams won their $100 entry fee back in the non-placing team (and must be present to win) raffle....

Thanks to all that come out to fish & support our Catch-Photo-Release model events - and a special thanks to all our sponsors (thanks Shawn / Striper Soup, Troy / Striper Sniper Tackle and all the others) that enable us to put on these events! Looking forward to little time off and then seeing everyone back in late March for the 2nd half of the season!

mwardncsu

Mike Werner

Re: Striper Mafia Winter Open - 12/9

Post by Mike Werner » December 10th, 2017, 5:07 pm

I’ve got to say Mike that you give tournaments a good name. I’ve been pretty closed minded about them, but you are slowly bringing me around. Nice going.

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » December 10th, 2017, 8:13 pm

Thanks Mike - that really means a lot.... when we started these we wanted to "do it different". I know some have issues with catching our favorite species (or any species) just for the pursuit of $$$$. Also, too often when $$$ comes into the mix so will make bad decisions and try to cheat, etc.

However, with the SML events we have intentionally kept the $$$ low to try and keep most of the drama out. Of course that even with some $ there can be some drama, but I feel there is a difference in $1,000, $10,000 and $100,000 purses. We tried a bit larger purse in TN, and we didn't have any real drama, but we also did not have the participation which I would like to see to spread the word of CPR. In addition, we put focus on there being something for all the teams involved - a chance for some of the teams to get their entry fee returned in raffle if they don't place, and each team receives some "goodies" (this year it's been hand-towels & koozies per team member, and a sample pack of line rattles from one of our sponsors per team), and then an entry for a raffle prize from our sponsors - and we make sure there are enough for each team to win one.

More importantly to me has been the youth element - putting focus in involving the kids in the sport - they have their own "mini" competition, and we let them turn in one of the fish from the overall team - that way there is no issues with Dad not wanting Jr to lose that big fish - as long as they are on the boat they are a part of the team and a part of the catch - and get involved to whatever degree they are capable. We've seen some incredible sportsmanship from the kids - last season we had one boy that had placed a couple of times give his prize to one of the other boys that had lost a good fish that put him outside of the winning place.

Ultimately we try to make these events a reason to get like-minded anglers together to get to know each other better - and use them as a way to communicate issues affecting our fishery - and take advantage of this group being together to try and do something positive for various charities each time.

I put this together recently as a way to summarize what the tourneys are all about...

mwardncsu

Larry Scott

Post by Larry Scott » December 11th, 2017, 8:28 am

MiKe
I think you are doing a great job spreading the catch and release word. Its got to be a ton of work for you ! Awesome

... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :

Kyle Bakis

Post by Kyle Bakis » December 11th, 2017, 9:30 am

Looks like another smashing success Mike!

Funny, I was just reading a post on the old soup from around 2010 where you and some others were brainstorming about ways to promote catch and release and at the same time prevent cheating in tournaments. I can't comment one way or the other on the cheating thing but, you're definitely nailing it on the catch and release part! :salute:

High on my striper fishing bucket list is to make my way out to fish one of your tournaments.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » December 11th, 2017, 4:31 pm

Well done men! We are just now digging our way out of over a foot of snow. Power came back on at the Soup store about 2 hours ago and I am just now making my rounds.

This Striper Mafia thing Mike Ward has going on is one of, if not THE most critical movements we have seen in striper fishing we have seen or been a part of. We all need to get behind this deal.

Return to “Striper Talk”