Fall is here - Shallow water time!

You thought of something you do (or did) that's UBER cool and you want to share!
Mike Maddalena

Fall is here - Shallow water time!

Post by Mike Maddalena » September 30th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Nothing in the tips, tricks and techniques section lately.

Soooo - what is everyone's "default" setup for fishing shallow in the water column on lakes or slow moving rivers?

I like 5 flat lines, 2 to 6 planers and 2 down rods.

Todd Asher

Re: Fall is here - Shallow water time!

Post by Todd Asher » September 30th, 2012, 9:59 pm

I fish a couple boards, 1 balloon, 2 flatlines and a couple of flatlines with splitshot for weight.
Shadnasty

Ezell Cox

Post by Ezell Cox » October 1st, 2012, 7:10 am

Ready to change if needed but start with 2 boards, no weight, & 2 down lightly weighted, splitshot to 1/2 oz.
I do fish some less than 5 foot water that I use 2 planners, a float, and a flat line all with no weight.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » October 1st, 2012, 8:44 am

4 planers, 2 and 2, or if I'm fishing a particular bank 3 and 1 with 3 to the bank side. Two flat/freelines, if flat, weighted with a single split shot about 50' back. Balloon/redi rig/modified pill bottle about 100' back. Beer.

Dirk Dial

Post by Dirk Dial » October 1st, 2012, 9:23 am

I think Shawn and I run the same normal spread, except I put my Flatline back 101 feet, and my Balloon rig back right at exactly 151' (Balloon rig is normally my largest bait, medium bait on the flatline). I also normally run large baits (10+ inchers) on my outside planers, and then medium baits (6-9 inchers) on my inside planers. I also now sometimes run a transom bait when I think of it. Atleast that is how I remember doing it, it has been months since my boat has been in the water... :cry:

Return to “Tips, Tricks and Techniques”