GLORIOUS NaCl

You thought of something you do (or did) that's UBER cool and you want to share!
Shawn McNew

GLORIOUS NaCl

Post by Shawn McNew » December 19th, 2013, 5:00 pm

Dirk's recent post inspired me to do a tribute to salt. What is it about this simple ionic compound that makes it the miracle of the bait? Here is what I came up with:

1) pH buffer. Salt dissolves into Na+ and Cl-. Something about the bonding of the ions and such prevents the pH of the water from going up from the nitrogenous waste excreted by the fish.

2) Osmotic pressure increaser. The presence of additional ions in the water raises the osmotic pressure which prevents bait from leeching their electrolytes through their skin.

3) Slime coat builder. Due to the osmotic increase, it prevents the 'burning' effect of pure fresh water.

4) Bubble enhancer. I don't know what principle this is, but the saltier the water is, the more fine bubbles your venturi will make.

5) Buoyancy increaser. Helps fish that struggle to stay swimming like skipjack. Denser water = buoyant bait.

This concludes bait salt 101 :geek:

Arnie Davis

Re: GLORIOUS NaCl

Post by Arnie Davis » December 19th, 2013, 8:16 pm

What about trout and salt?
(It seems, from my home tank experiments, that the trout keep better with little or none at all, at least for extended periods.)
It also seems I have had better luck cutting back to 1/2 -1 cup per 30 gallons while mixing the trout and gizzards in the same tank - especially in these colder temps.
Does it make a difference? Am I hallucinating?

Edit:
Never mind. I just read Dirks post and I think he cleared it up for me.
Yes, I am hallucinating - again :geyes:

Russell Dobbs

Post by Russell Dobbs » December 19th, 2013, 8:30 pm

Very good information in this & Dirks post and I don't know how much of a difference it makes but I like to fill my tank up night before & let the salt (3cups in 25g) set in over night.

Dirk Dial

Post by Dirk Dial » December 19th, 2013, 8:56 pm

Not sure what type salt everyone uses but I normally buy the big bags at home Depot for about $5-$6.

I tried some other type of salt I bought at a feed store one time and it killed all my baits, so I think the type you use can be important. I have never really researched it enough to know why some work good and some kill fish.?.?.?

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » December 19th, 2013, 9:01 pm

Dirk Dial wrote:Not sure what type salt everyone uses but I normally buy the big bags at home Depot for about $5-$6.

I tried some other type of salt I bought at a feed store one time and it killed all my baits, so I think the type you use can be important. I have never really researched it enough to know why some work good and some kill fish.?.?.?
That or the pool salt from Morton in the white bag. $5.97 at wally world. The grains in pool salt are about 1/8" and dissolve much much faster than standard size 3/8-1/2" rock salt.

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » December 19th, 2013, 9:40 pm

Make sure it is NaCl as there are other salts that are not good for your bait (i.e iodine-based)..... also, when using water softener salt, don't get the stuff with the "Iron Out" - typically some type of Red on the bag.... blue and yellow bags seem OK (one of those has some type of additive to clean the water softener supposedly - not sure, hasn't seemed to be a problem as I know I've used both).

The pool salt would dissolve quicker certainly. I used to use some that was like rock salt - lately what I've been getting are these pellet things - about 3/4" x 1.25" in size. I typically fill a bunch of quart-sized freezer bags at the house and then keep several on the boat so that I don't have to keep a big bag of salt laying around. The quart bag holds about 5 cups of salt, which is what I use in my 40 gal - maybe a little heavy dose by my ales & shad have never complained and are usually extremely frisky. When I fill the tank I dump a bag in - by the time I get to the bait catching spot it is usually all dissolved. The good thing about the pellets is if you knock the big bag over you can pick it up and not have a ton of small salt everywhere to have to clean up.
mwardncsu

David Powell
2 Can Dos
2 Can Dos

Post by David Powell » December 19th, 2013, 10:03 pm

When I was in GA at the SSBT store Shawn had a pallet of Salt on his boat. He was actually loading a second one with a fork lift when I pulled up :shock:

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » December 20th, 2013, 7:28 am

David Powell wrote:When I was in GA at the SSBT store Shawn had a pallet of Salt on his boat. He was actually loading a second one with a fork lift when I pulled up :shock:
That is funny because we are going to start buying it by the pallet. 63 x 40 lb bags :shock: :shock: :shock: :smokey: :lsmiley:

Mike Maddalena

Post by Mike Maddalena » January 2nd, 2014, 11:40 pm

Pool salt - outside at Home Depot or at Walmart - I am a heavy salter - 1 cup per 10 gallons. It's a small buckets worth in the 100 gal vest. Yipee!

Return to “Tips, Tricks and Techniques”