Downline line type?

You thought of something you do (or did) that's UBER cool and you want to share!
Brian Story

Downline line type?

Post by Brian Story » June 4th, 2014, 12:20 pm

I'll be fishing a deep lake with submerged trees. About to rig up a few downline reels. What line do you all like best is this application? Will I get less bites in a very clear lake downlineing with braid as the main line then using 4-5 ft fluorocarbon leader? That is what I want to do but don't want to decrease our bites. Or should I stay with a 30lb mono main line and 20 lb leader. The lake has some big fish in it with 20+ being common.

Thanks.
Brian

Steve Hightower

Re: Downline line type?

Post by Steve Hightower » June 4th, 2014, 12:27 pm

Every single fish I have caught on downlines was on 15lb big game mono with 12lb flouro leader. But....I mostly fish Allatoona and there are almost no trees to deal with. As long as your reel has a decent drag system you should be good.

I wanted to run the same setup when I first was getting geared up but decided to just use mono. Can't remember why I did. I re spoool my reels about twice a year and it only is
about 20 bucks. Let us know how it works out.
My Grandpa's favorite fishing phrase...."Come on baby... Hit me one more time Loretta!!"

David Powell
2 Can Dos
2 Can Dos

Post by David Powell » June 4th, 2014, 1:40 pm

If there are 20+lbers I would go with either Seaguar red label 20lb or a 30lb big game with a minimum of 20lber fluoro leader. Maybe even a 30lb flouro leader. No point in hooking a good fish if he's just going to break you off. Ill take less bites but all fish landed over more bites and the story of the big one that got away everyday. However I don't know the water of where your going to fish so some tactics just may not work.

Brian Story

Post by Brian Story » June 4th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Thanks for the replies. David, do you feel braid will spook the fish any?
It'll be smith lake in Alabama. Downlined in 120 ft of water over 40-60 ft timber.
Brian

David Powell
2 Can Dos
2 Can Dos

Post by David Powell » June 4th, 2014, 10:31 pm

Maybe if its ultra clear but if not probably not. I have caught a good number of 20+lbers on braid but for the most part I just don't like it. What I really don't like is the non stretch part especially when you have to use a much smaller lb leader. One mistake when a fish is on and its all over. I truly believe if you have good healthy bait and your fishing around feeding stripers the size of the line is not that big a deal especially with a fluorocarbon leader. I caught a 9 lb striper on a gizzard a couple of weeks ago on 50lb mono big game with no leader. The gizzard was maybe 8 inches.

Dirk Dial

Post by Dirk Dial » June 4th, 2014, 11:03 pm

I like braid a lot too but have tried it on downlines right beside a rod with mono on several occasions (both with 4'-6' fluorocarbon leaders) and every time the mono line got at least twice as much action so I gave up on braid for downlines. This is not to say you won't get bit and if they are in a feeding frenzy it probably doesn't matter but I think if you do a little experimenting yourself you will likely have the same results as me as I think Smith Lake is VERY similar to Lake Lanier.

For small baits (<6") you will get way more action with the lightest line you can still put some juice to to get them up out of the trees. I think a good 15 lb test Flouro leader(I like Pline 100% Fluorocarbon) and 20 lb test main line is a good choice and will get more action than you will with 20 lb leader and 30 lb main line. On large baits it should not matter as much though IMO.

Return to “Tips, Tricks and Techniques”