Cold Water Cast Netting Tip

You thought of something you do (or did) that's UBER cool and you want to share!
Roland Zamorano

Cold Water Cast Netting Tip

Post by Roland Zamorano » February 4th, 2016, 8:28 pm

I think Ive come up with a solution for those really cold mornings when your hands freeze while throwing your net. You know those days when you cant feel your fingers. It sounds stupid and gay but hell, it works! I went out and bought some cheap cotton work gloves at home depot. I think you get them in 5 packs for 5 bucks or something like that, then I went to Publix and bought a pair of gay yellow dishwashing gloves( XL). You know the kind, playtex I think. Their commercials used to say you could pick up a dime with these gloves. Anyway, I put on a pair ot the cotton gloves then put on the dishwashing gloves over them. The Rubber gloves keep your hands dry with enough grip and tactile feel to handle the net and the cotton gloves give you a bit of insulation. As an added bonus, your hands dont smell like last nights date... :lol: :lol: Ive tried it and it really helps. When I take them off, I leave the cotton gloves inside the rubber gloves to make it easy to put them back on next time.

Shawn McNew

Re: Cold Water Cast Netting Tip

Post by Shawn McNew » February 4th, 2016, 9:26 pm

I use my man powers to stay warm.

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » February 4th, 2016, 10:23 pm

One of the guys on SML does the same - though with orange dishwashing gloves.

Chad at SML taught me a trick with the blue disposable nitrile gloves. They are heavy duty enough not to tear out easily like nylon gloves but keep your hands dry and mostly warm as a result - and plenty of control. I wussed out and used them the other morning when it was right at freezing and I was putting big shad out on planers :rambo:
mwardncsu

Colt Bass

Post by Colt Bass » February 4th, 2016, 10:28 pm

I like the smell of last nights date!!
"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough"

Jay Garrell

Post by Jay Garrell » February 5th, 2016, 12:32 pm

The tug is the drug!

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » February 5th, 2016, 2:04 pm

I've tried several styles and brands of gloves and can't find any that give me the dexterity and control with my fingers that I need.
mwardncsu

Roland Zamorano

Post by Roland Zamorano » February 5th, 2016, 4:00 pm

$40.00? No way! All they do is keep your hands dry. Mine cost maybe $8.00 and keep your hands dry and warm. As for dexterity, you can pick up a dime off the counter. Im telling ya.... :hellyea: :hellyea: :hellyea: :hellyea:

Man powers to keep warm...I remember the article in GON...something about not feeling your fingers or something like that :lol: ;)

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » February 5th, 2016, 4:22 pm

Yeah, I never said that and guess they made up some stuff to make it sound harder than it is. I never threw a 10 foot net 400 times in a day either, never told 'em I did. Might have thrown it 250 times, but not 400.

Roland Zamorano

Post by Roland Zamorano » February 5th, 2016, 4:33 pm

Just messing with ya!

Jay Garrell

Post by Jay Garrell » February 5th, 2016, 5:01 pm

Roland Zamorano wrote:$40.00? No way! All they do is keep your hands dry. Mine cost maybe $8.00 and keep your hands dry and warm. As for dexterity, you can pick up a dime off the counter. Im telling ya.... :hellyea: :hellyea: :hellyea: :hellyea:

Man powers to keep warm...I remember the article in GON...something about not feeling your fingers or something like that :lol: ;)

Dry=Warm :tupl: What is $40 in Striper fishing? I use them for everything in the winter. Throwing the net, putting bait on the hook, etc never cold as long as you put them on while your hands are warm
The tug is the drug!

Steve Hightower

Post by Steve Hightower » February 5th, 2016, 9:02 pm

Good tip Rolando!
My Grandpa's favorite fishing phrase...."Come on baby... Hit me one more time Loretta!!"

Mike Meeks

Post by Mike Meeks » February 9th, 2016, 1:13 pm

Just don't take them off if you get water in them and hen put them back on. Your hands will not warm them up until they dry out. Also the easiest way to net your bait on cold days is to stop by the soup. Hands stay dry and warm, until you bait the hook up. Just saying :bounce:

Return to “Tips, Tricks and Techniques”