Missing plug? What WOOD you do?

You thought of something you do (or did) that's UBER cool and you want to share!
Shawn McNew

Missing plug? What WOOD you do?

Post by Shawn McNew » February 20th, 2016, 10:11 pm

So I got to the ramp yesterday morning and somehow one of my 2 plugs was missing. I'm not sure how since I secure them by dangling them precariously on the back rod holder, open to wind and bouncing down the road, etc... :crazy: :uhuh: To my own defense, this system has worked flawlessly at speeds exceeding 100 at times and over some very rough terrain for over 2 years. So it was either leave the actively flipping shad in the water behind me and take a trip to a store, or perform a provisionary field modification tactical solution.

Opted for door #2.

I thought about stuffing a potato chip bag in the hole, or a wad of paper, but then I remembered my training as a tree measuring samurai and dusted off my knowledge of the local flora. Hmm, what is round, about 1" in diameter, carvable, and would jam into a hole and seal it up pretty darn good? Oh yeah, a stick! Well, I figured a green branch would provide the highest quality wood plug available, but an oak or hickory may be too tough. Softwood it was going to be, and when in Tennessee, what better and more fragrant softwood is there than the eastern red cedar? It took a bit of culling, but I found the correct size branch, broke out the trusty crusty Leatherman and got to sawing. Headed back to the awaiting watercraft socket and found that the branch I cut was the exact right size, after a few quick shaves with the blade to remove the peely bark and expose the beautiful white cambium, I jammed that bitch in the hole and went to work.

Been on plane, up and down the lake, reversed, and the cedar is holding strong. Easy to remove too!! So the next time you forget your plug, don't give up, GET A STICK!
Attachments
cedarplug.jpg
cedarplug.jpg (196.35 KiB) Viewed 606 times

will hackney

Re: Missing plug? What WOOD you do?

Post by will hackney » February 20th, 2016, 11:19 pm

:lol: That is awesome. I was going to suggest asking a bass fisherman for his spare dildo, and jamming that in the hole, but your way is definitely better :lol:

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » February 20th, 2016, 11:22 pm

will hackney wrote::lol: That is awesome. I was going to suggest asking a bass fisherman for his spare dildo, and jamming that in the hole, but your way is definitely better :lol:
The SPARE dildo! How many dildos do bass fishermen need anyways, sheesh! :D

Roland Zamorano

Post by Roland Zamorano » February 21st, 2016, 10:21 am

will hackney wrote::lol: That is awesome. I was going to suggest asking a bass fisherman for his spare dildo, and jamming that in the hole, but your way is definitely better :lol:

LOL!

steve nichols

Post by steve nichols » February 23rd, 2016, 9:10 am

The spare $1.29 plug in the bottom of the boat will do in a pinch. Just what I'd do!

Jay Daniel

Post by Jay Daniel » February 23rd, 2016, 8:33 pm

Man that had me spitting out my drink. :clap:

Return to “Tips, Tricks and Techniques”