Clean your reels

You thought of something you do (or did) that's UBER cool and you want to share!
Shawn McNew

Clean your reels

Post by Shawn McNew » January 24th, 2012, 10:58 pm

Here is a breakdown of one of my Penn Prion 1800's. I have 4 of these 1800's which they quit making a long time ago. The only reel I have ever used that's tougher is a Daiwa whisker. Anyways, I clean them once every 5 years whether they need it or not. This one was OVERDUE and I don't think I've ever cleaned it because all the factory goop was still inside it. Looked like they lubed it with a pneumatic grease gun. I took everything apart except for the drag and anti-reverse modules. The drags are maintenance-free and I'll be DAMNED if I am going to get into that infinite anti-reverse system with all those rollers and tiny springs. I took everything apart, scooped all the excess grease I could with a small flat head screwdriver, then blew it out with brake parts cleaner and dried and relubed. Got it all back together somehow and it all worked like it was supposed to. :P

Small screwdrivers, teflon grease, reel butter oil, toothbrush, needlenose. I use a vice to hold the rod while I work on the reel.

years of grunge

VERY important to keep the parts organized. I lay them in rows so I know what order they go back

back plate removal

handle removal

4 screws for the side plate

one of the 4 bearings. There are 2 in the main shaft, 1 in the spool shaft and the 1 in the line roller.

This is UGLY

The parts lines grow

This screw disconnects the spool shaft thingamajigger from the oscillator doomaflotchey

This thing is gnarsty

Small pieces require needle noses

Penn Prion's have a very odd spool oscillator mechanism. This gear has a cog in a sprocket that travels in an oval groove on the underside which is protected by a TINY nylon sleeve. One of my prions stated to get hard to reel. What had happened was this mechanism lost lubricity and seized up and the metal dealybob was cutting this oval groove out. I caught it just in time and it still works, but I'm not sure for how long. It caught 20 lb stripes in TN a few weeks ago!

There are 6 screws on the anti-reverse assembly. The silver ones I figured out are the mounting screws.

There's a tiny shim ring on the pinion shaft. What would life be without this?

Empty body.

Scoop the goop... I found a little nylon sleeve bearing that fits in where the base of the pinion shaft fits and took it out to clean it. As I was brushing it with the toothbrush, I lost my grip on it and the brush flung it across the workbench. I almost had a heart attack but got it back.

This is the sleeve. Interesting piece. Almost looks like an afterthought. Who designs these things?

Mucho better!

Oscillator cogginator with itsy bitsy sleeve. The spool shaft holder screwfamawhatchacallit is still skanky.

And she's back together again!

Tested and working well. We'll put some fish on it and see how it goes. 8-)

Chad Gilmore

Re: Clean your reels

Post by Chad Gilmore » January 24th, 2012, 11:11 pm

no way I try that.....I'm not mechanically inclined. I'd have a busted mess if I tried that.
HokieChad

Randy Roy

Post by Randy Roy » January 24th, 2012, 11:20 pm

Very cool post! You know it's built well when you see a brass worm gear.

Keith Prather

Post by Keith Prather » January 24th, 2012, 11:34 pm

This screw disconnects the spool shaft thingamajigger from the oscillator doomaflotchey
Bent a spool shaft one time on an older Penn trying to get it out before I was edgeumakated. Able to get a new shaft for not too much.

I really like the 2 wiskers I have. They are the best spinners I have used for the money.

Danny Leigh

Post by Danny Leigh » January 25th, 2012, 10:20 am

Great layout Chef. I like the parts in a row process.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » January 25th, 2012, 1:57 pm

Got a hybe on it today and everything was smooooth. :P

Allen Shepherd

Post by Allen Shepherd » May 22nd, 2016, 9:38 am

This little thing is great for these types of projects.
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-u ... 95563.html

Jim Davisson

Post by Jim Davisson » May 22nd, 2016, 1:19 pm

Allen, have you tried denatured alcohol instead of water in yours?
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Allen Shepherd

Post by Allen Shepherd » May 22nd, 2016, 2:06 pm

No I haven't. I've been using simple green and some other cheap cleaners, so far they have worked well. I will try the denatured alcohol. I happen to have some hanging around that I use in a camping stove.

Return to “Tips, Tricks and Techniques”