PVC coping/proctector

You thought of something you do (or did) that's UBER cool and you want to share!
Shawn McNew

PVC coping/proctector

Post by Shawn McNew » February 13th, 2012, 7:58 pm

I pioneered this method when I was splicing cable for BS and slicing tubes longitudinally down one side was the hip thing to do. If you have 1" or thereabouts round gunnel rails on your boat, this will work to protect against bangs and abrasions. Take a piece of 1" SCH 20 pvc and slit it down the words. My rails are a little over 15' long from the rear gusset to the front deck, so it was a long cut. I figured out a good tool to do it with was my dremel with a little cut-off wheel. Once it's cut, you'll need to hold the main part at an upward angle (I put it over my shoulder/upper arm), bend the end down towards your rail and pull it apart until you can pop the end on and get it started. Once that's done, you just pop it on by whacking it like a ninja all the way up. This took me maybe 15 minutes to do both sides.

Seein' Stripes I:

Seein Stripes IV:

Randy Roy

Re: PVC coping/proctector

Post by Randy Roy » February 13th, 2012, 9:31 pm

That only looks like schedule 20...you sure that won't crack when your ramming sail boats :lol:
Did you leave space for expansion in your joints... PVC expands like crazy in heat...it's rated to expand at 5o degrees 2.5" per hundred, more in extreme heat (Sun).

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » February 13th, 2012, 10:06 pm

Randy Roy wrote:That only looks like schedule 20...you sure that won't crack when your ramming sail boats :lol:
Did you leave space for expansion in your joints... PVC expands like crazy in heat...it's rated to expand at 5o degrees 2.5" per hundred, more in extreme heat (Sun).
2.5" per hundred what? Feet? It that's the case, it will maybe expand 1/2" for the amount I have. I don't see that being an issue. It's just a layer of good protection against bumps and scrapes.

john wells

Post by john wells » February 14th, 2012, 12:45 am

This is a neat idea. I have a buddy that can turn an 18' boat clear around backwards inside of a 16' wide slip while he is trying to dock it lol. I keep tellin him dont worry "someone will come up with curb feelers for a boat". lol

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » February 14th, 2012, 8:36 am

For additional protection, you can layer it. I used to tie off to Ft. Loudon dam and the boat rubbed the concrete always in the same spot, pretty much on a corner of the concrete. I beefed up that one spot with 3 layers of pipe and it would take a few trips to wear through the top piece of pipe. When it wears through, pop off that piece and put on a new one. :P Not everybody fishes the same, out in open water. People with small metal boats do some weird things to catch more fish... 8-) 8-) 8-)

Mike Werner

Post by Mike Werner » February 14th, 2012, 9:40 am

I think I'll try that on my river boat. I took a pretty savage hit on the port side transom a couple of years ago that could have been less severe if I would have had PVC protection.

Return to “Tips, Tricks and Techniques”