Wake (transom) bait?

You thought of something you do (or did) that's UBER cool and you want to share!
Keith Prather

Wake (transom) bait?

Post by Keith Prather » March 18th, 2012, 1:10 am

I know most on this board know about wake baits but how many of you use it as often as other techniques?

Me and my regular fishing buddy were on Lanier Friday with a friend from down the street trying to find a few fish for an outing with OWL next Friday. We started off pulling baits on shallow reef markers, points and humps near creek mouths then pulled shallow and deep baits over the main lake channel and creek mouths like every boat on the lake was doing. The result was the smallest striper I have ever caught on Lanier and a few spots.

With only an hour or so left to fish I ran to the back of a slightly stained creek mid day with water temps 2* or better than anywhere else and 8' to 20' of water. We put out a full spread with med and large shad, BBs and a med trout. After putting out the spread I put a wake bait BB about 6 feet behind the motor.

Got a few laughs from Kevin because earlier I was putting the baits way back when we were fishing the open water. I tried to explain what I had learned on the Soup about wake baits and what I had experienced this past fall. I am sure he was'nt listening about time the wake bait BB got hammered. Not a big one but happy to get the 11lber in the boat for my neighbor. In all the excitement we lost a board. Turned around and pulled the point again to get the board but no luck. Passed the point and pulled shallow water past the point and got a 10lber on the wake bait BB. All this in about 20 minutes.

I say it was a day saver for us. We only had one fish on a planer BB all day before. Nothing on a free lined BB, paner board shad, trout on a float, shad on a float, etc.

Today while roaming the city working, and as always thinking about fishing, a few thoughts came to me about the wake baits.

1. I do not hear many people using this method.

2. It has worked better for me in shallow water but, the more I use it maybe that thought will change.

3 The sun being overhead is a plus. Had the same results this past fall and all came with a sunny day in less than 20' of water slightly stained and midday. I believe the shadow the boat cast midday directly down in the water then the bait popping up after it triggers the strike.

4 I do not think the type of bait is that big of a factor except it should be medium to small.

5 The fish I have caught have been between 10 to 15 lbs. They did not play with the bait. Hits will be brutal. Fish will pull/swipe directly down then off to the side due to the shallow water.

There is something about this technique that interest me like bow hunting, up close and personal. I would like to hear anyones experiences with this method.

Tim Adrien

Re: Wake bait?

Post by Tim Adrien » March 19th, 2012, 9:19 am

I agree with everything you said except for bait size. I tend to use the biggest bait I have for the wake bait. A technique that is too often overlooked.

John Yancey

Post by John Yancey » March 19th, 2012, 9:25 am

I don't troll much, mainly anchor in a river near a deep hole. 2 of my biggest stripers have come on a bait that was only feet from the back of the boat. Have caught many with a bait sitting just a few feet from the transom.

John Mantovani

Post by John Mantovani » March 19th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Keith,

As you already know I fish Lanier a "little" bit. The wake bait technique is one that will definitely catch fish on Lanier. On some rare days it seems to be the preferred technique and will get bites when nothing else seems to be working.

Last Saturday I had a large striper hit the wake bait so hard that he pulled 300 feet of drag in about 10 to 15 seconds before he ever slowed down. My brother was sitting about a foot or two from the pole with his back toward it, the sound of the drag screaming startled him so bad he nearly fell out of the boat as he was trying to turn around. I am not sure how big this fish was since it got into the trees before my brother could stop him much less turn him, but it was most likely 15lbs or bigger.

I agree with several of your observations about shallow water, mid-day sun, and the "brutal" hits.

Good luck on Friday, I have to work.
Oakwood Striper Club
Lanier Striper Club
Lanier Striper Coalition

JohnMan

Ezell Cox

Post by Ezell Cox » March 19th, 2012, 3:09 pm

I also use a wake bait when the fish are near the surface normally as short as 15 feet behind the boat or as much as 35 feet depending on the boat speed and current I am in. Biggest bait in the tank.

Dirk Dial

Post by Dirk Dial » March 19th, 2012, 6:03 pm

John Mantovani wrote:Keith,

As you already know I fish Lanier a "little" bit. The wake bait technique is one that will definitely catch fish on Lanier. On some rare days it seems to be the preferred technique and will get bites when nothing else seems to be working.

Last Saturday I had a large striper hit the wake bait so hard that he pulled 300 feet of drag in about 10 to 15 seconds before he ever slowed down. My brother was sitting about a foot or two from the pole with his back toward it, the sound of the drag screaming startled him so bad he nearly fell out of the boat as he was trying to turn around. I am not sure how big this fish was since it got into the trees before my brother could stop him much less turn him, but it was most likely 15lbs or bigger.

I agree with several of your observations about shallow water, mid-day sun, and the "brutal" hits.

Good luck on Friday, I have to work.
John, the one that broke you off is ALWAYS a 25 lber or bigger... 8-) :lol: :roll: Mine usually grow a few pounds by the time I get to the ramp to load the boat... :D As many of you know there is a disabled veteran and sportsman event on Lanier Friday and MANY of us have volunteered to take 2 or more handicapped/disabled men out for some striper fishing Friday. My jetboat is not designed for a wheelchair so I borrowed my dad's center console and will have one wheelchair bound wounded warrior I think and one other that is not in wheelchair. Planning to go after big fish early and if that doesn't work out try to avoid the skunk on main lake the rest of the day. This time I REALLLLLY hope I can put some fish in the boat...

Here is a link with some info about OWL (Outdoors Without Limits)

http://outdoorswithoutlimits.net/wp-owl/?page_id=6

Sorry Kieth, not trying to hijack your thread but you mentioned Fridays event and myself and many others are pretty excited about it. I WILL have a wakebait out, probably a med-large gizzard... :P Hope to see/meet you there Friday at Lanier Harbor Kieth.

Keith Prather

Post by Keith Prather » March 20th, 2012, 9:42 am

Thanks for the feedback. I will have to try large baits again.

Dirk, hope to see/meet you there. I think it will be a little crazy at first getting all the boats set up but I am very excited. I hope all you vets get to take a wonded warrior, seems appropriate.

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » March 20th, 2012, 10:14 am

Dirk / Keith - good thing you guys are doing - we did an event at SML last year and it was rewarding for all involved...... hope to get to do it again this year!
mwardncsu

Todd Asher

Post by Todd Asher » March 25th, 2012, 1:27 am

I keep a wake bait 10' or so off the back of my boat. Many days that will be the only bait that gets hammered.
Shadnasty

Ken Sato

Post by Ken Sato » March 25th, 2012, 8:40 am

On Friday, I was letting out a planer with the bait about 12' behind it when a fish hit it. The planer was only 10' from the boat. Hmm, maybe I'll run a freeline with a small float and shorter leader to get the "wake action" next time :ugeek: When we quit Striper fishing that morning and threw the used baits over-board. A fish hammered the tired, waking bait 20' from the boat.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » March 25th, 2012, 8:51 am

The first guy who figures out how to run 10 wake baits simultaneously wins.

Jim Burch

Post by Jim Burch » April 13th, 2012, 2:08 pm

Shawn McNew wrote:The first guy who figures out how to run 10 wake baits simultaneously wins.
How about 2 outriggers with a 5-hook Alabama rig on each? :lol:

I saltwater fish a lot and we often will put a bait in the propwash. Had a few scares when a toothy critter skyrockets the bait and comes close to coming onboard before being invited.

I wonder how a kite bait would work on some of those finicky feeders......?
Tight lines and screaming drags to all!

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » April 14th, 2012, 1:46 pm

I was expecting something different when I saw this thread.

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » April 14th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Yeah, I think it should be called "transom bait" since a wake bait is a lure that cuts across the surface. I think I'll just change it since I can! hahaaaaaaa 8-)

Tim Adrien

Re: Wake (transom) bait?

Post by Tim Adrien » April 16th, 2012, 2:36 pm

At the Jewel - all downlines with the lead on the surface.

Mike Maddalena

Re: Wake (transom) bait?

Post by Mike Maddalena » April 25th, 2012, 12:54 pm

Transom baits don't work! Neither do downrods. Especially in 10ft of water or less. Anyone that I have told or shown these techniques to I want you to know that I was a liar. A bold face dirtly liar. Don't even bother to try them. It's waste of time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Tips, Tricks and Techniques”