Dock Lights

You thought of something you do (or did) that's UBER cool and you want to share!
Dirk Dial

Dock Lights

Post by Dirk Dial » March 21st, 2012, 8:57 pm

If you are having a tough time finding hungry fish you need an EDGE to find the ones that will eat, dock lights can sometimes give you that edge. They draw in bait and tend to put the predator fish into the feeding mode. I took my Dad's boat out yesterday to make sure everything was working for the upcoming OWL diabled persons event and the boat hadn't been run in a year. Had a few minor issues that I was able to fix and of course I had brought about 10 gizzards just to wet a line for a few minutes... 8-) ;) I graphed a few fish but no pulls and I decided to stay a little after dark. I noticed a light pointed into the water near the mouth of a creek I was at (extreme north-end of Lanier) and I pulled an outside planer about 5 feet in front of the light and inside planer was about 20 feet out from light. Gizzard on outside got creamed and as I was fighting it other planer went down at mach 1 but nothing I could do as I had my hands full with a feisty 39" 25 lber (male I think, not very fat in belly which most females are right now). Other fish came off but I landed the 25 and headed to the house. Nice to not get skunked and if you are having trouble getting the skunk out of the boat, you might want to wait a little after dark and put a bait near a dock light (especially in the Spring and Fall). ;)

Tim Edwards

Re: Dock Lights

Post by Tim Edwards » March 21st, 2012, 9:07 pm

Dirk,

Real good tip, made me remember one night on lake Cumberland when I was coming in from fishing and I caught 10 stripers at the edge of a bait light on a white buck tail. All where in the low teens but put up a heck of a fight on a bass rod. I wil always remember that night!! It was Feburary 17 and the fish where caught between 10:30 to 11:30. Thanks alot for the reminder :D :D :D

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » March 21st, 2012, 9:10 pm

Good tip - I catch plenty of small striper in the cast bat tossing off the dock for bait - makes sense the Bigun's are out there too.....
mwardncsu

Dirk Dial

Post by Dirk Dial » March 22nd, 2012, 10:25 pm

Mike Ward wrote:Good tip - I catch plenty of small striper in the cast bat tossing off the dock for bait - makes sense the Bigun's are out there too.....
That was my biggest fish at night so far (I don't fish at night much). I was surprised as I normally catch smaller ones at night near lights but I was at a big fish location this time and lucky for me there was a big fish there. I think the one I missed was a pretty good one too based on the way it took off. Definitely at least a teenager. Possibly a 40+... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shawn McNew

Post by Shawn McNew » March 23rd, 2012, 6:27 am

Mike Ward wrote:Good tip - I catch plenty of small striper in the cast bat tossing off the dock for bait - makes sense the Bigun's are out there too.....
Can you show us this "cast bat" or yours? I'm curious as to the legality of using a bat to catch small striper. :|

Excellent reminder. The docklights on Sinclair are dynamite all year, and the per capita docklight number is higher there than most other lakes.

Return to “Tips, Tricks and Techniques”