View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2017, 3:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Alaska Fishing 

Post Alaska Fishing
Has any one been to the Kenai Peninsula fishing? My dad always has wanted to go a do a trip up there so I'm trying to get some info together so I can book a trip for us. I think it'd be a great fathers day gift. I'd probably plan it all out and go in 2016. Anyway, If any of you have any info on the good, bad, and ugly of where to go or who to go with I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

May 11th, 2015, 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
2 Can Dos
2 Can Dos

Post Re: Alaska Fishing
Man, I would love to go up there and catch some giant halibut, but I just can't sit on a plane that long. You might want to check out Tim Berg's alaskan fishing adventures. He has been featured on the show Big Water Adventures for years. If Mark Davis talks highly about someone or some place, you can feel confident that you will be well taken care of. ://www.alaskanfishing.com/ I've seen them do fresh water and salt on the show and it looks awesome. I haven't been myself, but if I was going I would definitely check out Tim Berg's place as an option.

May 11th, 2015, 4:12 pm

Thanks man, ill check it out. As it will be something that will be a once in a lifetime type trip I want to have all my ducks in a row and do it right :)

May 11th, 2015, 4:27 pm
Profile WWW

I sure enjoyed my trip to Alaska. Pybus Point on Admiralty Island.
ALASKA FISHING TRIP SUMMER 2011
I had a great trip with 2 fishing friends to some much more comfortable weather in Alaska. We flew A/A to Juneau Alaska then got in a Super Otter seaplane to PYBUS POINT LODGE on Admiralty Island located on the inside passage. We passed over some beautiful white top mountains and very green rainforests. The wind was calm to light with high temperatures in the low 70’s and low around 50 degrees every day with salt water temperatures in the high 40’s and very clear. The sun only totally hid between 11 p.m. & 2 a.m. but was a low twilight even during those hours. The seas were very calm and the fishing was great. We had great guides daily that are the reason we caught lots of fish like halibut, pink, silver, king salmon, rock bass, yellow eye, dolly vardin, lingcod, and quillbacks. We also ate our catch of crabs, and shrimp. The Lodge cleaned our catch of the day and vacuum packed, and then froze it to bring back home. We saw lots of wildlife to view like humpback whales, killer whales, sea lions, sea otter, eagles, brown bear, and all kinds of water fowl, and other birds. We went in Five Finger Lighthouse, waded the Little Pybus River for dollies vardin, pinks, and silvers, broke off pieces of icebergs from the sea, sat around the campfire, looked at the starfish, and much more with no flies, mosquitoes, or any kind of bothersome bugs. Those fishermen on the Cruise ships had to be saying I WISH I WERE ON ONE OF THOSE FISHING BOATS CATCHING FISH LIKE THAT. I do plan to go back next summer around the same time!
Ezell Cox

May 11th, 2015, 7:30 pm

Sounds awesome Ezell!

May 11th, 2015, 8:05 pm
Profile WWW

I fished the Kenai river around 25 years ago. It was awesome. I think its considered a trophy river as some 50+ pounders are caught on a regular basis. The biggest we caught was 40 lbs. The bad thing about the Kenai is that they can shut it down to fishing if the spawning run is weak. That can ruin a trip pretty quick. It used to be a 1 fish/day and 2/year limit, not sure what it is now. It was full of guide boats, definitely not a peaceful drift down the river. The guide makes a big difference, we caught our limits in two- 1/2 day trips. He cured his own salmon eggs for bait. I'm not so sure I would go back to the Kenai as a trip like Ezell took sounds like an action packed trip versus a trophy type trip that I took. As a bonus, you won't get a better tasting salmon or halibut than one caught in Alaska.
We also flew in via bush plane to the Chuits river for bank fishing for salmon but caught more Dollys and Rainbows.
To cap off the trip, we went on a Halibut trip out of Homer, which is another trophy fishery. My brother caught the biggest at 138lbs. The rest of us caught small dinks around 20-40lbs.
We drove to the Portage Glacier to check it out and took a float plane trip for some sight seeing and landed in a couple of remote lakes.
I would definitely like to go again.

May 11th, 2015, 10:12 pm

An Alaska fishing trip is definitely on my bucket list...

May 11th, 2015, 11:20 pm

ive been to gustavus,alaska fishing numerous times. halibut,lingcod,salmon etc.... stayed at beartracks lodge every time. awesome fishing! only problem is paying for all the fish being packaged to be shipped back. I guess that's a good thing. last trip there with my father he caught a halibut weighing in at 496 lbs. when they are that large thet don't harpoon them but get a 410 shotgun slug to brain.

May 12th, 2015, 8:56 am

Phil Clegg wrote:
ive been to gustavus,alaska fishing numerous times. halibut,lingcod,salmon etc.... stayed at beartracks lodge every time. awesome fishing! only problem is paying for all the fish being packaged to be shipped back. I guess that's a good thing. last trip there with my father he caught a halibut weighing in at 496 lbs. when they are that large thet don't harpoon them but get a 410 shotgun slug to brain.

Should have weighed that one in, would have broke the current record by 37 lbs. :huhh: http://wrec.igfa.org/WRecordsList.aspx? ... %20Pacific

May 12th, 2015, 9:03 am

I can't tell you about the Kenai, but I have fished Alaska a couple of times.

I did two different week long DYI trips on the Alagnak River. It starts in the Katmai National Park. We had a float plane drop us and our rafts in a lake, spent 7 days on water floating down the river and fishing, and a float planed picked us back up at a wide place in the river. It was pretty nice. Very secluded and remote, with good fishing - just the way I like it. They have lodges up there, but they are kind of pricey. If Tennessee wasn't right next door, I'd probably go back. It is incredibly beautiful there and very sparsely populated.

Marie and I did a Alaska Railroad Tour once, no fishing. Took the train to Denali National Park. Both the train ride and the park were very cool. Did a flight in a 6 seater around the Alaska Range - scary but pretty unbelievable. Did a little raft run up to a glacier and then downstream to meet back up with the train. Spent a little time in Anchorage which though it was fun, I'd had my fill in a day.

May 14th, 2015, 1:08 pm

correction: fish was 396 lbs.

May 17th, 2015, 4:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]