View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2017, 8:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Daytona Beach – In the Sandbox 

Post Daytona Beach – In the Sandbox
I took the family down last week for some much needed R & R. The weather was flaky most of the week with big random thunderheads blowing up without much warning. We rolled in Monday about 1pm and the big boomers started hitting about 3pm and lasted through most of the evening. Tuesday started out pretty good but the showers started again around midday and were off and on until dark.This was not to be a fishing trip but its hard for me to go to the ocean without carrying some rods along. I found a bait shop near by that had every kind of live bait and frozen bait a man could dream of. I kept it simple with some frozen squid because I wasn't sure how much fishing would actually be attempted.
Wednesday the weather started breaking up and the beach action was in full swing so we hit it at daylight...

It was low tide and not much action for us other than a few small blacktips and then the crowds hit...

We then packed the rods up and went swimming while taking in some wonderful sites. Later that evening we seen a little girl with a zebco 33 and a bobber wearing out the whiting about 10ft off of the beach.
Thursday morning I was getting the beach chairs out of dads truck when I noticed he brought his zebco 33 along – BINGO. We put him to work Thursday evening...

He wore out some flounder and whiting for a couple of hours at low tide tossing out in the first trough.
Some of the whiting looked to much like bait to me...

and in the bucket they went...

I changed hooks and leaders on the big surf casters and waded out to the second sand bar then hurled them as far out as I could...

The first rod out was in the water 10 minutes and we had a taker. It was a pleasure seeing the 10ft surf caster and pvc bowed in the water but it didn’t last long. The 6/0 hook did not find home and what ever it was came unglued after 5 minutes or so. BUMMER.

It was tough fishing with all the hard bodies walking around...

That wrapped up the fishing but we had a great time and it gave us something to build on for our next trip.

I also had the pleasure of running into fellow SOUPER Mike Madd on the beach and recognized him as he was walking by. It was great meeting you Mike!

:cheers:

July 20th, 2014, 10:57 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Daytona Beach – In the Sandbox
Nice going Arnie. Wish you would have got a look at the big one. Big shark probably.

July 21st, 2014, 1:14 am

Looked like a nice relaxing trip to me.Good job better luck next time on the big fish.

July 21st, 2014, 8:49 am

Great to get away. I used to love catching whiting at St George Island. Fun little fish. Looks like a relaxing trip with the family. Soupers are everywhere it seems.

July 21st, 2014, 1:36 pm

Heck ya! Looks fun.
I like the three generations pic.
:hellyea:

July 21st, 2014, 2:48 pm
Profile WWW

Fun trip and good read Arnie! I never catch crap when I fish off the beach.

July 21st, 2014, 3:45 pm

Shawn McNew wrote:
I never catch crap when I fish off the beach.

Cannot use gizzards everwhere :lol:

July 21st, 2014, 3:48 pm

Nice to get some R&R in Arnie. DAB is one of my favorite places. Thanks for sharing.

July 25th, 2014, 12:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]