View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2017, 5:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 No wifi with new tv? 

Post No wifi with new tv?
Any techies out there?

Just plugged in new "smart" tv with wireless genie set up from Directv. New TV won't connect to wifi (picture is fine) and wifi connection sucks on everything else. Narrowed it down that it happens when new TV is on. Even if genie router is off.

Any ideas? :wall:

October 22nd, 2014, 9:48 pm

Post Re: No wifi with new tv?
Dylan Xiong might be able to help....?

October 22nd, 2014, 10:08 pm
Profile WWW

Some dumb questions - but to make sure I understand your setup. I also have the DirecTV Genie setup

First - Did you unplug your computer from the wall and reboot it :dlgnt: :geyes: Kidding.......

I am assuming what you have is your home WiFi Router - where your DSL or Cable Modem or whatever connects with an ethernet cable and that delivers WiFi to other devices in the house. It is possible that your WiFi router also has the DSL or Cable modem built in and you have just one box. Then you have the main Genie DVR box - connected to your WiFi (and of course connected to the satellite splitter), and each of the little boxes with other TVs - connected via coax to the satellite splitters.

Then - are you saying you further have a "Smart" TV with built-in WiFi so that you can watch YouTube or Netflix, etc from the internet connected TV - and that when the TV is on with the WiFI enabled that the TV will not connect to your WiFi network and other devices in your home (PC, phones, whatever) has their WiFi performance go to crap? If so, it sounds like it very likely has to do with settings on the TV's WiFi / Network settings. Need to know what specifically is not connecting from the TV's perspective - is the TV's WiFi not connecting to the WiFi network - or is it connecting to the WiFi - but not then to the Internet.

If it is not connecting to the WiFi at all, then it could be the TV's wifi support is either not compatible (unlikely) with your home wifi router, or not setup right. It may be that your home router is an older one and only supports .11b or something - and the TV is trying to use .11n or .11ac - these should typically sync themselves but maybe something is set to not allow it to auto-negotiate. If all the devices in the home are going to crap when the TV's WiFi is enabled, then it sounds like a WiFi settings issue.

If it is connecting to WiFi, but not to the Internet - then it sounds like an IP address configuration issue - most likely the TV would be using DHCP to get an IP address from your router - but maybe it was hard-set to a specific IP address - or worse, set to one that is conflicting with another address already on your network - this could either be because your TV is set to a specific IP address and your router is issuing an address to other devices via DHCP and it conflicts - or the TV is getting one via DHCP but you have something else set to a specific address (less likely). In either case, generally this should just affect the two devices that have a conflict of the same address - not other devices.

Vague I know, but hard to know without being able to see specifically what's going on - hopefully the above gives you a little to go on.....

October 22nd, 2014, 10:14 pm

Mike Ward wrote:
Some dumb questions - but to make sure I understand your setup. I also have the DirecTV Genie setup

First - Did you unplug your computer from the wall and reboot it :dlgnt: :geyes: Kidding.......

I am assuming what you have is your home WiFi Router - where your DSL or Cable Modem or whatever connects with an ethernet cable and that delivers WiFi to other devices in the house. It is possible that your WiFi router also has the DSL or Cable modem built in and you have just one box. Then you have the main Genie DVR box - connected to your WiFi (and of course connected to the satellite splitter), and each of the little boxes with other TVs - connected via coax to the satellite splitters.

Then - are you saying you further have a "Smart" TV with built-in WiFi so that you can watch YouTube or Netflix, etc from the internet connected TV - and that when the TV is on with the WiFI enabled that the TV will not connect to your WiFi network and other devices in your home (PC, phones, whatever) has their WiFi performance go to crap? If so, it sounds like it very likely has to do with settings on the TV's WiFi / Network settings. Need to know what specifically is not connecting from the TV's perspective - is the TV's WiFi not connecting to the WiFi network - or is it connecting to the WiFi - but not then to the Internet.

If it is not connecting to the WiFi at all, then it could be the TV's wifi support is either not compatible (unlikely) with your home wifi router, or not setup right. It may be that your home router is an older one and only supports .11b or something - and the TV is trying to use .11n or .11ac - these should typically sync themselves but maybe something is set to not allow it to auto-negotiate. If all the devices in the home are going to crap when the TV's WiFi is enabled, then it sounds like a WiFi settings issue.

If it is connecting to WiFi, but not to the Internet - then it sounds like an IP address configuration issue - most likely the TV would be using DHCP to get an IP address from your router - but maybe it was hard-set to a specific IP address - or worse, set to one that is conflicting with another address already on your network - this could either be because your TV is set to a specific IP address and your router is issuing an address to other devices via DHCP and it conflicts - or the TV is getting one via DHCP but you have something else set to a specific address (less likely). In either case, generally this should just affect the two devices that have a conflict of the same address - not other devices.

Vague I know, but hard to know without being able to see specifically what's going on - hopefully the above gives you a little to go on.....

Thanks Mike - this is over my head; might have to pay the geek squad to figure it out. At first I thought the wireless genie router was jacking with my home connection and rendering our other devices useless. But I unplugged the genie router and if the TV is turned on (no pic obviously) the problem still exists - turn the TV off and everything goes back to normal? The TV is reading 3/5 bars and recognizes the Belkin wifi router. Most of the time it says it is connected to wifi but can't connect to the internet. I went to the "TightVNC service configuration" on my cpu and changed the session sharing option to "always treat connections as shared, add new clients and keep old connections." I also checked the "make log available to all users box" but that didn't fix my problem.

The TV is set on "auto" as far as the settings go. I'm over my head.

October 23rd, 2014, 7:36 am

In my DirecTV Genie setup I don't have a separate WiFi router - I have my existing DSL/WiFi Router combo box, and then the main Genie DVR box - which is connected to the internet via my existing WiFi and also to the satellite splitter cable - then of course the little remote boxes connected via cable.

Sounds like something on the TV is not setup right if the WiFi is connecting but not connecting to the Internet itself.....

October 23rd, 2014, 8:44 am
2 Can Dos
2 Can Dos

nerds.............Nerds............NErds............NERDS!!!!!!!

October 23rd, 2014, 12:23 pm

I did wonder why he posted the question on a striper fishing forum and not a directv or wifi router or the like forum :D But we striper brothers do what we can to help :)

October 23rd, 2014, 12:42 pm

I work for Dish Network but I've never seen a direct tv router before. Must be something new. Cause I thought they had built in wifi with their receiver. Like Mike said, if you are trying to connect your tv to the internet to take advantage of the built in feature within your new tv, then just troubleshoot the connection from the tv to your wifi router. If it says that your tv is connected to your home wifi but not the Internet, then you may have to login to your router and check the settings. I don't think the Direct Tv system has anything to do with your tv not being able to connect unless both devices have the same ip address which would cause an issue. But most router would usually take care of that for you. It maybe better getting someone from the geek squad to help.

October 23rd, 2014, 8:28 pm

I can guarantee you this - if you went to a DirecTV or consumer electronics-centric discussion forum and asked them about striper fishing you're not get near the same level of helpful info :lol: SoupLife Baby!

October 24th, 2014, 10:29 am

Turns out I just needed an extender. Since soupers know everything all topics are fair game (if posted in the right forum) :burp:

I swear Mike lives in a holiday inn express... :bounce:

December 6th, 2014, 10:14 am

will hackney wrote:
nerds.............Nerds............NErds............NERDS!!!!!!!

LOL!

January 26th, 2015, 7:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]