Increase allowable pic size

Family vacation? Colonoscopy? A camping trip to the Urals...show us!
Scott Cress

Increase allowable pic size

Post by Scott Cress » September 2nd, 2015, 7:43 pm

Posts suck without pics. So does the size restrictions on this site. I can post picks everywhere else but here without having to jump through hoops. C'mon chef, it's a small private forum and dial up is dead. Raise the pixel limit already!

Shawn McNew

Re: Increase allowable pic size

Post by Shawn McNew » September 2nd, 2015, 8:49 pm

Well, most computer screens won't display a pic more than 1200 pixels wide in the forum window (mine won't show past 1100 wide so that's mostly what I size mine at), so it doesn't make too much sense to allow anything bigger. I think the forum will accept a pretty darn big pic but the database doesn't need a bunch of 5 meg images on it. You always have the option of remote linking it from photobucket, snapfish or whatever using the IMG function.

Jay Garrell

Post by Jay Garrell » September 3rd, 2015, 9:51 am

Re-size it in paint, select a smaller format and email them to yourself, set your camera to take smaller pictures. Several easy fixes.
The tug is the drug!

Mike Ward

Post by Mike Ward » September 3rd, 2015, 10:58 am

Jay Garrell wrote:Re-size it in paint, select a smaller format and email them to yourself, set your camera to take smaller pictures. Several easy fixes.
I use Photobucket for all my forum pics - I take my pics on my phone, I think upload them to Photobucket from my phone using their app. The I can do a post to the forum from my phone or PC, and grab the link to the photo put of Photobucket. It's an extra step or two, yes - but it allows me to then easily use the same pictures elsewhere - upload once - post many.

The issue with increasing image size on a forum like this is it rapidly drives up bandwidth usage and storage space - which are cost-drivers for the person paying to host the site...... most of those other sites have banner ads and the like which generate revenue to offset hosting fees. Yes, a lot of folks that don't post enough pay $$$ for Soup membership which you can argue could pay for some of thoses costs - but there are more hidden costs than most folks understand. Heck, I help admin a forum hosted on a "free" board (Proboards) and it has caps on the overall file storage - we hit that a few months back - and its $$$ a month for here on if we wanted to bump it up - so its Photobucket linking there now.....
mwardncsu

Jim Davisson

Post by Jim Davisson » September 3rd, 2015, 3:26 pm

I only use my S6 and photobucket app on here. On WiFi its 1 min to upload and get the appropriate pregenerated forum link per pic for me. Back in the day, it sucked posting pictures.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

steve nichols

Post by steve nichols » September 6th, 2015, 9:02 am

FastStone photo resizer (free on net) works great. I take pic's in large format for details , then shrink them in batch for forums. works for me.

Return to “Miscellaneous”